+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Received. Next Steps?

rsirish

Dec 1, 2016
Hello Everyone,

We received our Confirmation of Permanent Resident(COPR) today with a validity of 6 months. Our COPR was through Nova Scotia PNP. We are based out of India. We would like to visit Halifax next month for 2 weeks, consider it soft landing, to complete any initial formalities and return to India. We would migrate completely mid next year. I have couple of questions which need clarification:

1) Can we apply for a PR card as soon as we land next month?
2) Do we have to be present to collect the PR card in person or can i provide an address of one of my friends? Should this address be in Nova Scotia or can it be from any province?
2) If we cannot apply for a PR immediately then how can we return to Canada next year? What process should we follow to migrate to Canada next year?
3) What exactly needs to be done when you land the first time? Any info on paper work that needs to be completed, visiting immigration office etc. Any info on this will be very helpful.

We were under the impression that we can apply for a PR card in our first visit and have it delivered to a friends address. We can then return to Canada next year after settling/closing everything in India. We don't intend to be a resident immediately for taxation purpose so we will not be applying for a SIN, DL or Health Card. PR card is only to ensure we can return to Canada when we are ready next year.

Would appreciate your time and insights in helping me plan and make a decision accordingly.

Thanks,
Sirish

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need a PR card in hand in order to return to Canada. You can just apply a Permanent resident travel document from the Canadian visa office in your country.