+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Marital Status Mistake

driley1487

Mar 21, 2018
After waiting 36 months and going from single to married I finally have my COPR. My question though is that my form says 'Single' on it.

Now the CIC know all of this as they asked for marriage certificates and a whole ton of proof before issuing my status. My Wife is listed on the form but under the relation of 'Other'. She is my sponsor and is a Canadian Citizen.

The thing is that I'm already in Canada and was planning to drive to Buffalo and back tomorrow to confirm everything. Is this something I could explain there and then or could that cause severe issues?

I've been dealing with the UK office (as I'm from there and initially applied from the Middle East) and they are ridiculously slow at doing anything.

I'm on the verge of landing a pretty good job here and I want this confirmed A.S.A.P but could the wrong marital status cause any massive issues that cant be resolved in person? I will be able to print all the correspondence with the office asking for my marriage licence.

I appreciate anyones advice on this matter.

Reactions: ceejay132

driley1487

Mar 21, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2013/545-modified-december-6-2016.html

Important info for anyone with a similar issue:

Corrections
For COPRs where a clerical error has been identified, border service officers and inland IRCC officers must correct the IMM 5688E form to ensure it is consistent with the biographical data in the passport or travel document. The corrections must be made on both copies of the COPR (IRCC copy and client copy) by placing an asterisk beside the data error and noting the correction in the remarks section of the form. Any corrections made must also be reflected in GCMS. Final responsibility for ensuring data integrity and legibility of the COPR, including the reprinting of a replacement document from the system when changes are required, rests with the officers granting permanent resident status.

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020
Hello,
What was your experience finally? I am in a similar situation and about to land and I know how it could take a while to get a response from them.
What was your experience? Was it a problem at the border or do you have to correct it compulsorily before landing? I saw the link someone posted here regarding "corrections" of errors. Does that stand definitely?

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020
After waiting 36 months and going from single to married I finally have my COPR. My question though is that my form says 'Single' on it.

Now the CIC know all of this as they asked for marriage certificates and a whole ton of proof before issuing my status. My Wife is listed on the form but under the relation of 'Other'. She is my sponsor and is a Canadian Citizen.

The thing is that I'm already in Canada and was planning to drive to Buffalo and back tomorrow to confirm everything. Is this something I could explain there and then or could that cause severe issues?

I've been dealing with the UK office (as I'm from there and initially applied from the Middle East) and they are ridiculously slow at doing anything.

I'm on the verge of landing a pretty good job here and I want this confirmed A.S.A.P but could the wrong marital status cause any massive issues that cant be resolved in person? I will be able to print all the correspondence with the office asking for my marriage licence.

I appreciate anyones advice on this matter.
Hello,
What was your experience finally? I am in a similar situation and about to land and I know how it could take a while to get a response from them.
What was your experience? Was it a problem at the border or do you have to correct it compulsorily before landing? I saw the link someone posted here regarding "corrections" of errors. Does that stand definitely?

Jaagn

Sep 10, 2021
I received my ecopr yesterday and I could see my marital status as single instead of married. How to correct this issue. Is there anyone who faced and facing this type. Any help would be helpful at this moment

Reactions: dkaushik324

Sona059

Aug 18, 2022
Hello,
Hey did you land first or you had to correct it first?

Sona059

Aug 18, 2022
Is your spouse a Canadian and your sponsor?
My spouse is Canadian and I am on my own PR ( through express entry) but when we got married but we did inform them about marriage and my husband already being Canadian PR holder.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My spouse is Canadian and I am on my own PR ( through express entry) but when we got married but we did inform them about marriage and my husband already being Canadian PR holder.
Try to post your question at EE section. I do not know how important is your status on COPR landing under EE.

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020
Hey did you land first or you had to correct it first?
Hey. I'm sorry this came super late. I never received a notification. I hope you got sorted out. But to answer, no. I didn't sort it out. I landed like that with my husband. Lol. I know it's super late. Apologies again