+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR letter "arrived at country of destination" since 3 weeks, but not delivered?

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
I didn't find much information on that matter, so I hope you can help me or ease my mind :)
I did an outland sponsorship through the Vienna office, which got approved at the 22nd January.
Right now I am in Canada with an IEC Work&Holiday visa, so they mailed the CoPR letter to my Canadian address.
When I got the mail of approval they were ominously talking about "documents" they want to send back to me and didn't mention that the sponsorship was approved and that the documents would in fact be the CoPR letter. So I didn't give much thought to it and told that they could send it by registered mail instead of a courier service, which was a mistake I guess.

My situation now is:
The latest information in the tracking system of Austrian post is that the letter "arrived at the country of destination" from 24th January, exactly 3 weeks ago now and it didn't arrive at my address yet. When I enter the tracking number at Canada Post it says that they don't have it in their system (yet).
Now I wonder: Where is it?
Is it being held at customs? If so, how long does that normally take?

Did that happen to anyone of you? How long did you have to wait?
Or if in worst case the letter is lost, what should I do then?

In the best case I hope to hear about some reassurance that I shouldn't worry :D

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Yes that was a mistake. Canada Post often hold stuff up in customs for 3 weeks or more and then take their time delivering. Nothing to do but wait I am afraid. I made the mistake of sending my wife sponsorship pack to Canada by UK Royal Mail / Canada Post 'special delivery / track and trace'. Royal mail were great for tracking until they put it on the plane. It then 'disappeared' in Canada (i.e. nil tracking information) for 4 weeks before going straight to 'delivered'.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Registered mail is the slowest! I had a COPR sent to Canada from Vienna and it took about 5 weeks for it to arrive. It will get there eventually, but it takes time.

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
For anyone who might stumble upon this thread at any point in history, here's my update:
I finally received my CoPR letter, but it came with a lot of stress, headaches and back and forth.

I advise anyone to never, ever let the visa office sent your papers by registered mail, here's why:
After waiting for 4 weeks the tracking status of the letter got put back to "Item being processed in Austria". So after it arrived in Canada and was lying around for 4 weeks it got sent back to Austria. I don't know exactly why, but I would assume it didn't pass customs because it wasn't properly declared or something like this.
When after another 3 weeks nothing happened I wrote to the embassy asking if they could issue another one and send it. They answered that they would first have to wait for the other letter to be returned before sending another one. I waited another week where still nothing happened so I wrote to them again that I didn't receive the letter since 2 months now and this time they replied that I should provide my current address for them to reissue and send the letter again. Since the tracking status didn't update I don't know if in the meantime they had received the letter back or if they just changed their opinion on the matter.
So this time I wanted to use the courier option. They provided instructions on how to do that, which was still a bit confusing. They said that the courier service should contact them to arrange a pick-up. I never heard of that happening. So I went to a UPS store and hoped that guy there would know what to do. He also thought that was a fairly unusual instruction and didn't exactly know what to do. He put something into the DHL system to create a waybill and then wrote a mail to the embassy with the waybill attached. That seems to have worked. The next day I received a text message from DHL that it was on the way and within 4 days I received the letter.

Reactions: Lee&Stacey