+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Interview - Successful! Tips and Question about work permits

faraz.ahmed38

Nov 23, 2013
Hi All,

I had my COPR interview yesterday and am Happy to say it went well!

I did my interview at Toronto Pearson as I was travelling.

The border agent was very pleasant and the whole process (excluding standing in line) took less than 20 mins. In my case, I came to Canada as a student, graduated and applied for my PR accordingly.

I always have orgnized and carry on me all my documents.

Helpful tip:
Carry "ALL" your work and study permits, as the border agent asked me for all of these. Including my passport and COPR form.
Question: She did not return any of my permits, has this happened with anyone else? Or do they keep all of these for discard as I now have a PR and those permits are no longer applicable?

Her questions were minimal:

When did you come to Canada and where did you study? How long have you been here?

This took about 5 mins after which she asked me to have a seat for another 10 mins while she processed my PR.

My PR card will be mailed in the next 4 to 6 weeks and in the interim, she stapled my COPR form into my passport.

Smooth and Easy!

movais

Sep 10, 2018
Hi All,

The border agent was very pleasant and the whole process (excluding standing in line) took less than 20 mins. In my case, I came to Canada as a student, graduated and applied for my PR accordingly.

Helpful tip:
Carry "ALL" your work and study permits, as the border agent asked me for all of these. Including my passport and COPR form.
Question: She did not return any of my permits, has this happened with anyone else? Or do they keep all of these for discard as I now have a PR and those permits are no longer applicable?

When did you come to Canada and where did you study? How long have you been here?

This took about 5 mins after which she asked me to have a seat for another 10 mins while she processed my PR.

My PR card will be mailed in the next 4 to 6 weeks and in the interim, she stapled my COPR form into my passport.

Smooth and Easy!
By ALL work and study permits, you meant the expired permits as well or just the recent valid ones?

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
Hi All,

Helpful tip:

Smooth and Easy!

My valid work permit at that time was taken from me and torn but the border officer made a copy and handed it to me before he ripped the old one. Wouldn't have made a difference either way

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
By ALL work and study permits, you meant the expired permits as well or just the recent valid ones?
Even the expired ones. I keep anything and everything of significance even if its expired.

That being said, I doubt they would give you or anybody a hard time for not having one of your many expired permits...However part of the PR process is scanning in and submitting ALL your valid and expired documents. So even if you dont have the original, you should have a copy.

yolower

Star Member
Mar 19, 2017
Helpful tip: Carry "ALL" your work and study permits, as the border agent asked me for all of these. Including my passport and COPR form.
I don't have my expired study permit with me. Will this be a problem? I only have my current work permit.