+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Expiry Date after first landing

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
I became a PR on 5th Nov 2022 and havent recieved by PR card till now. I had done my soft landing and now i will be going back using PRTD.

For bank account and driving license etc, i will be using my COPR landing form. Does the expiry date mentioned on teh COPR matters for these purposes or is it only the date before we should do our first landing.

Will there be any issues getting any of the above things done using my COPR, what other options i will have.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I became a PR on 5th Nov 2022 and havent recieved by PR card till now. I had done my soft landing and now i will be going back using PRTD.

For bank account and driving license etc, i will be using my COPR landing form. Does the expiry date mentioned on teh COPR matters for these purposes or is it only the date before we should do our first landing.

Will there be any issues getting any of the above things done using my COPR, what other options i will have.
You will probably have to wait for your PR card until you can get a driver license and health card (don't know about other province, but likely in BC).

For bank account, you can use your COPR, SIN and passport.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
i wanted to check if there is an expiry for COPR usage, as i am not aware when i will get my PR card. COPR document has expiry date which is linked to my medical test, which has already passed (i will be entrering using PRTD next week).

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018

you MIGHT face issue with both if your CoPR has expired. This is from personal experience - I went to open a bank account with expired CoPR document. The executive was bit hesitant to allow me open an account. I backed it up with passport and showed them the status of my PR card on GCKey account (my PR card was approved and I was waiting for it). I was allowed to open an account but was asked to return once I receive my PR card, which I did.

EDIT : This is in BC and as @steaky pointed out, you definitely need PR card for health card and license. ICBC is quite strict about it.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
you MIGHT face issue with both if your CoPR has expired. This is from personal experience - I went to open a bank account with expired CoPR document. The executive was bit hesitant to allow me open an account. I backed it up with passport and showed them the status of my PR card on GCKey account (my PR card was approved and I was waiting for it). I was allowed to open an account but was asked to return once I receive my PR card, which I did.
To my knowledge, many/most institutions will be wary of accepting the COPR as evidence of current PR status. Try to get everything important done before it expires if possible.

Do you have the SIN already?

As @CNP above writes, you may convince some to work with you if you can show other evidence you are still a PR, or if you can just talk them into it, but they may ask other things after like returning with PR card.

[Note that technically the 'expiry' date on the COPR is no longer relevant because once signed it is a record of permanent residence - the expiry only has to do with requirement the applicant land before that date. BUT basically no-one outside the immigration world and IRCC even knows this.]

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i wanted to check if there is an expiry for COPR usage, as i am not aware when i will get my PR card. COPR document has expiry date which is linked to my medical test, which has already passed (i will be entrering using PRTD next week).
COPR expiry date is now irrelevant since you have PR status. You can continue showing it to the bank or crossing the Canadian border by land.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To my knowledge, many/most institutions will be wary of accepting the COPR as evidence of current PR status. Try to get everything important done before it expires if possible.
I think I should moderate this comment a bit - @steaky's comment that you can use your COPR at border with no problem is a good example and correct.

And while many institutions will be a bit 'wary' of accepting a COPR that's expired, that doesn't mean you will automatically get an outright refusal. So you might need to haggle a bit - be nice because the person on the other side of the counter probably doesn't have any useful guidance about whether a COPR is enough or not. And showing other documentation in support can help (eg show your bank card and you've implied that the bank has accepted it, etc).

But mainly - apply for the PR card as soon as you return to reduce the time without it. SIN# is, again, one of the most key and important hurdles - hopefuly you already got it.

Last edited: