+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR expiring soon

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Guys, I know my question may be stupid, but I am truly confused looking at all the travel restrictions information and exemptions on their website. I need someone to give me straight answer, because a while back while reading on their website, I thought they lift the restrictions for people with valid copr, and now I am confused coming here to the forum.

My question is; Are people with COPR issued post 18 March still NOT allowed to travel to Canada? (mine is issued on 1 November 2020) And the more important question is, does it make a difference if the person wants to travel for soft landing or permanently, or both are banned?

My COPR expires on 21 March 2021.. I will REALLY appreciate your help guys so that I can at least confidently raise a webform telling them that due to travel restrictions, I can't travel and need to get my COPR extended.
1. Yes people after March 2020 are still not allowed to travel unless you have written authorization to travel. However, if you live in the US you can cross the border.
2. Raise a webform if you want but you most likely will not get a reply. Many people have expired COPR cards.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
1. Yes people after March 2020 are still not allowed to travel unless you have written authorization to travel. However, if you live in the US you can cross the border.
2. Raise a webform if you want but you most likely will not get a reply. Many people have expired COPR cards.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Thank you sooo much for getting back to me ( I knew it is dumb question lol). I just feel I should raise a webform just to be on the safe side you know.. especially that the copy of the passport they have will expire soon, so I will get them the new one anyway. But really thank you for clearing it up for me.

PS: I don't know what a written authorisaion is to be honest.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you sooo much for getting back to me ( I knew it is dumb question lol). I just feel I should raise a webform just to be on the safe side you know.. especially that the copy of the passport they have will expire soon, so I will get them the new one anyway. But really thank you for clearing it up for me.

PS: I don't know what a written authorisaion is to be honest.
Written travel authorization is to reunite with family or if you have an essential job (e.g. healthcare) with COPR.

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Btw, has anyone with a visa of less than 1-month validity recently tried contacting IRCC to see what they say?

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Btw, has anyone with a visa of less than 1-month validity recently tried contacting IRCC to see what they say?
My visa expires on 21 March. I will send them a webform soon. But I am not expecting them to respond to be honest due to the volume. The travel restrictions are still imposed, so there is nothing to say really until they decide to reopen, then they will probably contact us and ask us to provide medicals and police certificates and reprocess the visa.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
My visa expires on 21 March. I will send them a webform soon. But I am not expecting them to respond to be honest due to the volume. The travel restrictions are still imposed, so there is nothing to say really until they decide to reopen, then they will probably contact us and ask us to provide medicals and police certificates and reprocess the visa.
That's right. So, is it like sending a passport to the VAC centers again and getting another Visa labelled? Or They could just send us an AL?

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
That's right. So, is it like sending a passport to the VAC centers again and getting another Visa labelled? Or They could just send us an AL?
Idk since they seem to have not announced anything related to us (who had their visa issued after 18 March 2020).. But I imagine that they will issue us another COPR and PR visa after they check stuff like new police certificate and medical exam .. because per my understanding, this is what they have done with the people whom their visa was issued before 18 March and got expired. So we would probably be the same.

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Tomorrow will send IRCC a webform telling them that my COPR is expiring due to the travel restrictions and will provide them with my new passport :(

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hello guys - I wanted to update you that I got a response from IRCC, literally within two days after I emailed them.

This is what their email said:

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

We have received your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you meet the requirements for exemptions to travel restrictions and are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you are able to travel, please notify us through the IRCC Web form. At that time, IRCC will respond with the most up to date information we have on next steps.

So.. I guess all clear.. Travel restrictions are still in place. Unless we are exempted and our visa is valid, we can't travel. Once travel restrictions are lifted, all we have to do is to contact them and let them know we can travel now. I am guessing all that will be required at this time is just new medicals and police certificate and a new visa will be issued.

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Guys, literally now I got another email from IRCC explicitly instructing me not to travel:

Thank you for your interest in coming to Canada as an Economic Class permanent resident. We are looking forward to having you here, but you will have to wait a little longer.

At this time, to protect Canadians from COVID-19, travel restrictions are in place for individuals travelling to Canada. Even people with a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) and a permanent resident visa (PRV) counterfoil (if applicable), CANNOT TRAVEL TO CANADA at this time to become permanent residents unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions.
Do not worry if your documents are near expiry. We will contact you with further instructions if your documents expire before the travel restrictions are lifted. We will then work with you at that time to re-issue or extend the validity of your documents when it is safer to travel.
Travel Restrictions Compliance and Enforcement
We want you to eventually come to Canada safely and legally. Please note if you don’t follow the instructions provided to and try to travel to Canada right now, you could face a signficant ticket or fine. Entering Canada is an offence under the Quarantine Act. For more information see Consequences for failure to comply with the Emergency order.

Please learn about how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and how it affects travel, quarantine and borders for the latest information on travel restrictions before making any travel plans and again before departing for Canada to avoid being denied boarding or entry in Canada.

So yea, I guess they are very clear about the travel restrictions. I advise everyone to keep their cool about this move until the situation improves. Do not try to travel, just stay and comply with what they are asking of us! Hopefully we all get to travel in a calmer and nicer atmosphere, who knows, maybe without masks too (but seems too hopeful!).