+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR expired( Fly to Canada)

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
Dear All,

Me and my spouse got our COPR in the first week of February 2020 and we were to fly on April 28th from India to Vancouver to make landing, Our last date of landing was May 1st . However due to lock down In India we could not fly and informed the IRCC of the same through a web form and asked for a extension. They replied in positive to the same.

We wanted to know if anyone is aware of the procedure for extension that the COPR holders have to follow with regards to:

a) Medical: Do we need to get our medical done again ? We are without medical surveillance
b) Do we need to get PCC done again .

If anyone has gone through the procedure etc. We want to fly possibly towards year end.

Is that only IRCC would be able to technically guide us on the same?

Thanks & Regards
Amber

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

Me and my spouse got our COPR in the first week of February 2020 and we were to fly on April 28th from India to Vancouver to make landing, Our last date of landing was May 1st . However due to lock down In India we could not fly and informed the IRCC of the same through a web form and asked for a extension. They replied in positive to the same.

We wanted to know if anyone is aware of the procedure for extension that the COPR holders have to follow with regards to:

a) Medical: Do we need to get our medical done again ? We are without medical surveillance

If anyone has gone through the procedure etc. We want to fly possibly towards year end.

Thanks & Regards
Amber
a. Not at the moment. If extensions get very long another medical may be necessary
b. Not at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by the end of the year but if you mean a December would encourage you to try to travel sooner. Your COPR was approved in February so that would mean almost a 1 year extension. You should still be trying to relocate when it is possible. Obviously it will depend on the situation in India but people are leaving and are being given a 3 month extension with proof of their flight. Proof of flight is supposed to be in the next 30 days but they seem to be still giving out extensions if flights are a bit later than 30 days.

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
Dear Canuck 78,

Our flight status is open so we can book anytime and confirm flights. The web forms have had generic answer but they have spoken about extension and mentioned that we approved request for extension. So let me try writing with specific details.

Thanks Canuck 78. Any other advice appreciated

Nikmal

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Dear All,

Thanks & Regards
Amber
Hi, I am also in the same position. My COPR expired on May 9th. I just saw the news in India and the international travel ban has been extended till Aug 31 (which i am sure will keep extending until November). I am willing to travel as this situation is something that will not be over anytime soon. Are you planning to travel under Vande Bharat mission? If so, have you checked for tickets? I am very confused if I should fill a web form and tell them that I can fly (as COPRs are exempted from restrictions) however I still doubt that flight availability could become a problem. You can't trust flight carriers and Air india website does not show any flight availability as of today for August.
Could you please share your plans? As in what are you planning to do about flights.
Thankyou

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Canuck 78,

Our flight status is open so we can book anytime and confirm flights. The web forms have had generic answer but they have spoken about extension and mentioned that we approved request for extension. So let me try writing with specific details.

Thanks Canuck 78. Any other advice appreciated
There are limited flights so you actually need a confirmed flight before you will be granted an extension. There are other threads on this topic with the email address to ask for an extension for your COPR but you need a flight booked.

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
@canuck78 Thanks Mate, will look into the same also there has been a new notification on IRCC with regards to the expired COPR which states that we need to full fill the criteria such as having a apartment on rent /lease deed , house purchase agreement & other such conditions. Basically non discretionary reasons /compelling reasons that we need to fly to Canada. It is a tad bit confusing . Any update on the same, you have been giving the perfectly sane advice as opposed to the crap elsewhere .

Cheers Mate , looking forward.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 Thanks Mate, will look into the same also there has been a new notification on IRCC with regards to the expired COPR which states that we need to full fill the criteria such as having a apartment on rent /lease deed , house purchase agreement & other such conditions. Basically non discretionary reasons /compelling reasons that we need to fly to Canada. It is a tad bit confusing . Any update on the same, you have been giving the perfectly sane advice as opposed to the crap elsewhere .

Cheers Mate , looking forward.
What CIC wants to confirm is that you are actually moving to Canada and not doing a soft landing and then returning home for a long period of time.

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
@canuck78 So does that mean those who have to do a soft landing will have to wait and will be issued a one time visa later on to land? Any news on that. In fact we are also stuck because of lockdown we did not apply for jobs and home for rental and now if we take house on lease since we are not in Canada will it be possible for us:

a) Firstly to get a house on lease from our home country without being present in Canada? We have been searching and talking to our contacts in Canada but nothing concrete yet? Would that also mean that if we cannot secure a house lease we cannot move to Canada for a while?

b) I have written to IRCC but no response .

Thanks @ Canuck78 for all the answers and help , its been really helpful with the way you have guided

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People have still doing soft landings so that is perhaps why CIC is looking for proof that people are not flying to Canada, staying just over 14 days and then returning home. Having people fly into Canada risks bringing in covid so CIC doesn’t want people to risk bringing in covid just to land. Yes people are able to ectrnd their COPR until they are ready to travel. There isn’t any concrete plan that has made public about how long these extensions will last and whether updated medicals, PCC,etc. will be needed at some point. It is such a fluid situation so I don’t think there is a concrete plan.

a) I wouldn’t worry if you can’t lease a house. Most won’t able to rent from abroad except a room and perhaps some condos. Would show that you have both left your jobs in anticipation of the move to Canada in April.

b) Have you tried the NVDO email? To get an extension of your COPR you must show that you have a flight booked.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@canuck78 So does that mean those who have to do a soft landing will have to wait and will be issued a one time visa later on to land? Any news on that. In fact we are also stuck because of lockdown we did not apply for jobs and home for rental and now if we take house on lease since we are not in Canada will it be possible for us:

a) Firstly to get a house on lease from our home country without being present in Canada? We have been searching and talking to our contacts in Canada but nothing concrete yet? Would that also mean that if we cannot secure a house lease we cannot move to Canada for a while?

b) I have written to IRCC but no response .

Thanks @ Canuck78 for all the answers and help , its been really helpful with the way you have guided
You can certainly rent a house from your home country unseen. Canuck probably tells you pay an airbnb for the 14 days quarantine period first.

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
@steaky: So what you guys are suggesting is that we take a airbnb first for a month and then we can secure a lease . The airbnb booking would work as proof for housing initially?

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
People have still doing soft landings so that is perhaps why CIC is looking for proof that people are not flying to Canada, staying just over 14 days and then returning home. Having people fly into Canada risks bringing in covid so CIC doesn’t want people to risk bringing in covid just to land. Yes people are able to ectrnd their COPR until they are ready to travel. There isn’t any concrete plan that has made public about how long these extensions will last and whether updated medicals, PCC,etc. will be needed at some point. It is such a fluid situation so I don’t think there is a concrete plan.

a) I wouldn’t worry if you can’t lease a house. Most won’t able to rent from abroad except a room and perhaps some condos. Would show that you have both left your jobs in anticipation of the move to Canada in April.

b) Have you tried the NVDO email? To get an extension of your COPR you must show that you have a flight booked.
@ Canuck, so I left me job over 2 years back and have my own law business since then, in this case would it be possible the idea though was to move to Canada in 2019 and hence had quit the job but the PR came late and we got delayed .

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@steaky: So what you guys are suggesting is that we take a airbnb first for a month and then we can secure a lease . The airbnb booking would work as proof for housing initially?
What is the purpose to use the booking as proof?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@ Canuck, so I left me job over 2 years back and have my own law business since then, in this case would it be possible the idea though was to move to Canada in 2019 and hence had quit the job but the PR came late and we got delayed .
So you haven't stopped working. That is a different story.

Amberrana

May 29, 2020
@ Canuck 78, I quit my job Jan 2019 got self employed opened a law business interim to make my ends meet till the time the PR comes, it was to come in 2019 November or December as per 6 months criteria it came in February and then this whole Covid happened. Hence we are stuck air canada plans to open flights from 15th August 2020, but now we do not know that do we qualify to seek extension