+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR cancelled due to common law marriage

bugzy4real

May 22, 2018
Hi,

Just a week or so before I officially got my approval, I got common law married although my spouse will not be accompanying me to Canada. As a result, I was instructed to fill out updated forms and I'm a bit confused since this is about me and my spouse now. Questions...

1. Am I supposed to mail the completed updated forms IMM 0008, 5406, 5669, etc? All my previous application forms have been filled and documents uploaded online but there was no way for me to do that this time around. How am I supposed to turn in these documents?
I cant seem to get hold of Canadian officials over the phone or by email. Please help!!

Please help!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe clarify what you mean common law marriage ? You mean you have lived together for 12 plus months given actual marriage has a whole different legal meaning to being a common law couple.

bugzy4real

May 22, 2018
Maybe clarify what you mean common law marriage ? You mean you have lived together for 12 plus months given actual marriage has a whole different legal meaning to being a common law couple.
In the state I live, there is no time limit. so, we've only been living together less than a month

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Then you aren't common law. The definition used for common law is IRCC's, not the definition in your own country. If you haven't cohabitated for 12 consecutive months, you aren't common law. IRCC will not recognize her as your common law partner should you try to sponsor her in the future as common law.

bugzy4real

May 22, 2018
Then you aren't common law. The definition used for common law is IRCC's, not the definition in your own country. If you haven't cohabitated for 12 consecutive months, you aren't common law. IRCC will not recognize her as your common law partner should you try to sponsor her in the future as common law.
Oh man!! How do I resolve this? I was just in the process of getting the CoPR. Infact, they wanted me to send my passport but then, they asked if I got married and I said yes, by common law [didn't think Canada had their own standards]. Now, I have to go back and tell em I'm not married? How will they react to this???

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh man!! How do I resolve this? I was just in the process of getting the CoPR. Infact, they wanted me to send my passport but then, they asked if I got married and I said yes, by common law [didn't think Canada had their own standards]. Now, I have to go back and tell em I'm not married? How will they react to this???
I'm not sure how you didn't think that Canada has a definition of common-law. It is pretty clear in the application, guides etc.

IRCC will likely think you are now trying to simplify your process by lying about not being common-law so you can get your COPR sooner. You will have to submit proofs that you were actually living at separate addresses up until a month ago.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
In the state I live, there is no time limit. so, we've only been living together less than a month
For reference - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=346&top=14

Your common-law partner:

• isn’t legally married to you
  • can be either sex
  • is 18 or older
  • has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning:
    • you’ve been living together continuously for one year, without any long periods apart
    • if either of you left your home it was for:
      • family obligations
      • work or business travel
    • any time spent away from each other must have been:
      • short
      • temporary
When at least one partner chooses to end the relationship, we consider the partnership to be over.

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Just write them a letter of explaination (LOE) and be upfront and honest about the confusion. Simple.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
why not provide them the actual picture... without trying to justify or make them believe anything.

since the documents you will (or not) provide supporting your common-law marriage will not meet their criteria of common-law, they may just come back and tell you that you are not 'common-law' married. why then will they refuse, on what grounds ?

once you get your PR you can then think of ways to meet the common-law criteria (as well as maintain your PR days in canada requirement) and then sponsor your spouse once everything ties up.

just my thoughts, not advice. GL !