+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR can I complete landing with current passport

huma757

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Hi, can I complete my COPR and landing with my current passport - due to expire in December 2018???

Please advise I am due to fly with Air Canada on Tuesday! Just occurred to me that it might not be allowed either by the airline or during landing. I've checked the COPR and accompanying document- no mention of any requirement to have a 6 month or 1 year valid passport. My COPR is also listed to expire on the date of my passport expiry 11/12/2018. Please advise!

Last edited:
Reactions: kuskus

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, can I complete my COPR and landing with my current passport - due to expire in December 2018???

Please advise I am due to fly with Air Canada on Tuesday! Just occurred to me that it might not be allowed either by the airline or during landing. I've checked the COPR and accompanying document- no mention of any requirement to have a 6 month or 1 year valid passport. My COPR is also listed to expire on the date of my passport expiry 11/12/2018. Please advise!
If the airline allows you to board, you can definitely complete your landing with the passport.

huma757

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
If the airline allows you to board, you can definitely complete your landing with the passport.
Thank you! Why would the airline not allow me to board? I can also show my return ticket is within 3 months. Does anyone know if Air Canada uses the 6 month passport validity rule? It seems some airlines do and some don't, hard to leave it to chance as I could lose out on my flights on Tuesday.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thank you! Why would the airline not allow me to board? I can also show my return ticket is within 3 months. Does anyone know if Air Canada uses the 6 month passport validity rule? It seems some airlines do and some don't, hard to leave it to chance as I could lose out on my flights on Tuesday.
Why would you need a return ticket when you have a PR ?
Return ticket rule is for the visitors(tourists or business), so will the passport with less than 6 months rule.

You can surely travel on your current passport and CoPR...
Worst case scenario call AirCanada and figure the info out

Reactions: mpsqra

huma757

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Why would you need a return ticket when you have a PR ?
Return ticket rule is for the visitors(tourists or business), so will the passport with less than 6 months rule.

You can surely travel on your current passport and CoPR...
Worst case scenario call AirCanada and figure the info out
Travelling back in 3 months to collect more personal belongings and visit home. Ok thanks, I will call them Monday just to be sure.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As far as I am aware, Canada does not have a "6 months validity" rule for passports. I know that some countries do however.

Reactions: huma757 and mpsqra

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That rule is actually for tourists. Since you’re going to Canada to land and become PR, the airline should allow you to board.

Reactions: huma757 and mpsqra

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

yes you can

Reactions: huma757

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
you don't have to show your return ticket

Reactions: huma757 and hamgha