+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR by road with dogs in car

Feb 20, 2020
Hello,

My wife has received her CoPR and we've begun the planning of having her come up here from the US. She would travel by car with the dogs in the backseat and we're concerned about their safety and well being during the landing process. I cannot accompany her as I am barred from entry into the US. Do they have any kind accommodation for this situation during landing? Would one of her parents be able to accompany her and watch the dogs in the car while she was interviewed? Would one of her parents be able to stay with the dogs in a hotel on the US side of the border and my wife pick the dogs up after completing the interview?

Any experiences, suggestions, or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The landing interview isn't a long process, maybe half an hour. There can sometimes be a wait for a visa officer to see you. I wouldn't expect the entire process to last longer than a couple of hours.

You park your vehicle in a specific spot at the border crossing and go inside.

As far as I am aware, they do not provide accommodation for pets during the landing interview. If your spouse's parents are Americans and thus visa-exempt to Canada, or if they have a visa to enter Canada, they could absolutely watch the dogs in the car.

Feb 20, 2020
The landing interview isn't a long process, maybe half an hour. There can sometimes be a wait for a visa officer to see you. I wouldn't expect the entire process to last longer than a couple of hours.

You park your vehicle in a specific spot at the border crossing and go inside.
Yeah, I've read that it's generally pretty quick. Plan for the worst, hope for the best kind of situation though considering we love our dogs. I don't think either of us would feel comfortable leaving the dogs in the car unattended without A/C for potentially hours or the worry about the car/dogs being stolen if the car was left running with the A/C on. It's a government parking lot, so I would assume worrying about theft is silly, though.

As far as I am aware, they do not provide accommodation for pets during the landing interview. If your spouse's parents are Americans and thus visa-exempt to Canada, or if they have a visa to enter Canada, they could absolutely watch the dogs in the car.
They are Americans, so that's good to hear. That definitely seems like the preferred route then.

Thank you for the help.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I would worry about heat and A/C if it weren't February...and I can understand the security concern but it's more than a government parking lot, it's the inspection zone at the point of entry. It's in between US CBP and Canadian CBSA.

I'd just have a parent wait with the pets.