+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR arrived expired. How can i resolve this?

uncommonfavor

Feb 11, 2014
I submitted my application in March 2013. My COPR was issued Jan 8th but it has a valid to date of Jan 19th. The letter was delivered to my mailing address on the 23rd. Basically when i got the COPR in the mail, it had already expired. My husband and I took it to the border but they refused to process it.

How do i solve this mess?.

How could London issue a document knowing fully well that it will get to me expired. The letter was mailed in London on the 15th. Why set the expiry date so tight that it can be used.? Surely they must know that it takes at least 2 weeks for mail to arrive in Canada from England.....

The only reason i can think of is that my passport's validity date was also jan 19th.
Could that be why they set the copr validity to Jan 19th. I already extended my passport by 1 year.

If anyone had been in that situation, please advice. How do i contact London? and what should I do?

I am so sad.

Regards

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
uncommonfavor said:
I submitted my application in March 2013. My COPR was issued Jan 8th but it has a valid to date of Jan 19th. The letter was delivered to my mailing address on the 23rd. Basically when i got the COPR in the mail, it had already expired. My husband and I took it to the border but they refused to process it.

How could London issue a document knowing fully well that it will get to me expired. The letter was mailed in London on the 15th. Why set the expiry date so tight that it can be used.? Surely they must know that it takes at least 2 weeks for mail to arrive in Canada from England.....

The only reason i can think of is that my passport's validity date was also jan 19th.
Could that be why they set the copr validity to Jan 19th. I already extended my passport by 1 year.

If anyone had been in that situation, please advice. How do i contact London? and what should I do?

I am so sad.

Regards
Contact them and let them know your COPR arrived expired, but you have now renewed your passport and would like a COPR that isn't expired. They will advise you on what they need to see for your passport to show it is valid.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
uncommonfavor said:

Could that be why they set the copr validity to Jan 19th.
This has happened before. Send a Case Specific Enquiry, CSE, to London. Be sure to say that it's URGENT. I also suggest that you have your sponsor call their MP and ask them to inquire, as this usually pushes the VO to deal with the situation faster.

It was definitely because of the expiry date of your passport. CIC cannot issue an immigration document beyond the validity of a person's passport. You really should have updated them with your new passport info as soon as you extended it.