+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR approved...just found out wife is pregnant..need advice?

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Hello all,

My wife is my sponsor and I am the principal applicant. I received my CoPR and need to land in Canada by November 2019. My wife and I recently found out she is pregnant :). If all goes well, she is due sometime in November 2019. It is safe to say our timeline has now changed.

I have read that there are a couple different options we have in terms of moving.

1. We can move sooner than expected so that my wife can establish hours worked to be able to qualify for health insurance to help with the costs of delivering the baby and maternity leave.

2. Wait until baby is born in the US and then move to canada after. I am not sure if I have to adjust my application, but I am going to assume so since I will be bringing another person with me.

This is all very overwhelming for me and my wife so I wanted to see if there was anyone in my situation that could help:confused:. We found out she was pregnant a couple of days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello all,

My wife is my sponsor and I am the principal applicant. I received my CoPR and need to land in Canada by November 2019. My wife and I recently found out she is pregnant :). If all goes well, she is due sometime in November 2019. It is safe to say our timeline has now changed.

I have read that there are a couple different options we have in terms of moving.

1. We can move sooner than expected so that my wife can establish hours worked to be able to qualify for health insurance to help with the costs of delivering the baby and maternity leave.

2. Wait until baby is born in the US and then move to canada after. I am not sure if I have to adjust my application, but I am going to assume so since I will be bringing another person with me.

This is all very overwhelming for me and my wife so I wanted to see if there was anyone in my situation that could help:confused:. We found out she was pregnant a couple of days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Is your wife a Canadian citizen and was born in Canada? If so, then the child will qualify for Canadian citizenship once born with some paperwork. The problem is that if you leave it until after the expiry date of the CoPR, then you have to apply all over again - pretty unlikely that CIC will grant an extension.

Are you aware that you can 'land to declare PR' NOW (yourself) then turn right around and go back to the USA, then 'land as settler' at a later date? It would be helpful to have a Canadian address for them to send the PR Card to, otherwise, you would have 180 days to supply one.

So I think you have 3 options:

1. Land and settle now (or soon) such that your wife qualifies for medical cover before birth (varies by province, but for example ON has a 3 month wait period, some provinces have no wait period)

2. Land to declare PR now, go back to the US, have the baby, register it as Canadian (if your wife is), sort out it's passport then land as settler later in Canada

3. Allow your CoPR to lapse and reapply all over again.

Probably 3 is your worst option, leaves you the other 2.

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Is your wife a Canadian citizen and was born in Canada? If so, then the child will qualify for Canadian citizenship once born with some paperwork. The problem is that if you leave it until after the expiry date of the CoPR, then you have to apply all over again - pretty unlikely that CIC will grant an extension.

Are you aware that you can 'land to declare PR' NOW (yourself) then turn right around and go back to the USA, then 'land as settler' at a later date? It would be helpful to have a Canadian address for them to send the PR Card to, otherwise, you would have 180 days to supply one.

So I think you have 3 options:

1. Land and settle now (or soon) such that your wife qualifies for medical cover before birth (varies by province, but for example ON has a 3 month wait period, some provinces have no wait period)

2. Land to declare PR now, go back to the US, have the baby, register it as Canadian (if your wife is), sort out it's passport then land as settler later in Canada

3. Allow your CoPR to lapse and reapply all over again.

Probably 3 is your worst option, leaves you the other 2.
Yes, my wife is a Canadian citizen and she was also born in Canada. Vancouver to be exact. We will be moving to Vancouver.

So for your option #2, if my wife delivers the baby here in the US, the baby will have Canadian citizenship (and US citizenship?) therefore we do not have to amend my application to include the baby?

and thank you for the reply...you have helped so much already, you have no idea.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, my wife is a Canadian citizen and she was also born in Canada. Vancouver to be exact. We will be moving to Vancouver.

So for your option #2, if my wife delivers the baby here in the US, the baby will have Canadian citizenship (and US citizenship?) therefore we do not have to amend my application to include the baby?

and thank you for the reply...you have helped so much already, you have no idea.
Yes, the baby will be Canadian. You will need to just update IRCC of the birth if you haven't yet landed.