+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cook NOC 63200 - Canadian Experience Class - Permanent Residence / Provincial Nomination

treznor

Nov 2, 2012
I am helping some friends who have been working in Ontario as Cooks (NOC 63200). They obtained a valid work permit through a successful LMIA. They have legally worked in Ontario for over 1 year. They have contacted some immigration reps but they say there are two ways for them to apply through the Canadian Experience Class, one of them being Provincial Nomination (PNP). However, while doing my own research to assist my friends, I found this official Ontario website Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades stream where it specifies that COOKS are excluded from Provincial Nomination in Ontario:

"Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream is an immigration stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
Please refer to section 12 of Ontario Regulation 422/17 for more details on each requirement.

1. Work experience
You must have:
  • at least one year of cumulative paid full-time work experience (or the equivalent in paid part-time work) in Ontario Major Groups 72 (excluding occupations under transportation officers), 73, 82, 83, 93 (excluding aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors) or Minor Group 6320 (excluding cooks) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
"

I am a bit confused because the reps that they have spoken to have not mentioned that as Cooks they are not eligible for provincial nomination anymore. I don't know if this "cook exclusion" has nothing to do with the Canadian Experience class and I am the one getting mixed up.

Can someone assess on what is the best strategy or best path for a Cook to apply for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am helping some friends who have been working in Ontario as Cooks (NOC 63200). They obtained a valid work permit through a successful LMIA. They have legally worked in Ontario for over 1 year. They have contacted some immigration reps but they say there are two ways for them to apply through the Canadian Experience Class, one of them being Provincial Nomination (PNP). However, while doing my own research to assist my friends, I found this official Ontario website Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades stream where it specifies that COOKS are excluded from Provincial Nomination in Ontario:

"Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream is an immigration stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
Please refer to section 12 of Ontario Regulation 422/17 for more details on each requirement.

1. Work experience
You must have:
  • at least one year of cumulative paid full-time work experience (or the equivalent in paid part-time work) in Ontario Major Groups 72 (excluding occupations under transportation officers), 73, 82, 83, 93 (excluding aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors) or Minor Group 6320 (excluding cooks) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
"

I am a bit confused because the reps that they have spoken to have not mentioned that as Cooks they are not eligible for provincial nomination anymore. I don't know if this "cook exclusion" has nothing to do with the Canadian Experience class and I am the one getting mixed up.

Can someone assess on what is the best strategy or best path for a Cook to apply for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class?
They can apply through Express Entry - CEC and may be invited depending on their score. Or they can go through one of the 9 OINP streams. Most likely- Foreign Workers stream (not trades) which is not an EE stream. The employer must be eligible and fill out the employer form to support the nomination.

Dev958

Dec 18, 2023
Please reply. I am also waiting for an invitation from ONIP. Noc code - 63200 (Cook) I found this comment a bit relaxing but could you please elaborate? Is it worth it to wait? I am a little anxious and afraid that I will end up wasting my time.
My employer is ready to support me but only the problem is I am waiting for the invitation. And my current score is 37.

Dev958

Dec 18, 2023
They can apply through Express Entry - CEC and may be invited depending on their score. Or they can go through one of the 9 OINP streams. Most likely- Foreign Workers stream (not trades) which is not an EE stream. The employer must be eligible and fill out the employer form to support the nomination.
Please reply. I am also waiting for an invitation from ONIP. Noc code - 63200 (Cook) I found this comment a bit relaxing but could you please elaborate? Is it worth it to wait? I am a little anxious and afraid that I will end up wasting my time.
My employer is ready to support me but only the problem is I am waiting for the invitation. And my current score is 37

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My employer is ready to support me but only the problem is I am waiting for the invitation. And my current score is 37
Is your NOC even selected?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Honestly, I do not have any clue. I just hired one lawyer he suggested me for PNP. So far we have only shown interest. I am waiting for an invitation.
So check the OINP draws and see if your NOC is selected. Most NOCs selected are in trades, healthcare, tech. If you hired a lawyer then the lawyer should know since you are paying that person.