+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting Visitor Visa into Work Permit

Sayantani

Mar 23, 2023
Hi,
I am from Kolkata, India and presently working for a Canadian software product firm. The firm at Kolkata is the 100% subsidiary of the Canadian one. My question is if I move to Canada with visitor visa and get an offer letter from my head office at Toronto, will it be considered as valid work permit?

If yes, then will it be a LMIA exempt work permit as this will be technically a transfer? Please guide.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,
I am from Kolkata, India and presently working for a Canadian software product firm. The firm at Kolkata is the 100% subsidiary of the Canadian one. My question is if I move to Canada with visitor visa and get an offer letter from my head office at Toronto, will it be considered as valid work permit?

If yes, then will it be a LMIA exempt work permit as this will be technically a transfer? Please guide.
You can't "convert" a visitor permit to a work permit.
I think you are talking about ICT work permit. Take a look at this discussion in the Foreign worker section. I think you need to start that before you leave for Canada. If your job is LMIA exmpt, then ask your company to start the process in India.

Note that a job offer is very different from a work permit.
So answer to this
"get an offer letter from my head office at Toronto, will it be considered as valid work permit?"
is NO.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/processing-time-for-ict-work-permit-from-india.734050/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Short answer to all of this is no. The offer letter isn't enough and you can't do this stuff from Canada.

If you want to move to Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit, your employer needs to apply for an ICT work permit while you are still working for them in India.

You also cannot move to Canada on a visitor visa.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, we are familiar with this.

For the scenario you have described where you want to work for the same employer in Canada, your employer needs to apply for an ICT. This is your only path if your employer does not want to get an approved LMIA.

You need to be working for your employer to qualify for an ICT and processing generally takes a number of months. You cannot "move" to Canada on a TRV and then apply for an ICT. It doesn't work that way.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Talk to your employer and ask for them to apply for LMIA-exempt ICT. If approved, you apply for a closed work permit. You can visit Canada as a visitor while work permit is being processEd.