+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting US licence to Ontario

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
My wife and I got full "G" License for our US license.
Do they take away your US license when they exchange it for a Canadian G license? I would like to keep my US license as I plan on dividing my time between Vancouver and Seattle.

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Hi there, looking for info on exchanging my US driver's license for an Ontario License. I have the '3+ years of driving' experience letter and a valid US license with a clean record.

1) I just wanted to check if anyone is aware of any rules on the date on the 'experience letter' ... i.e. is it necessary for the letter to have been issued within the last week / 1 month / 6 months etc. of the day of exchange in Ontario ?

My driving experience letter will be 1.5 to 2 months old at the time of exchange & It will be tough for me to get a new one quickly, so wondering if I should wait for a new letter before moving.

2) Also ,
My US license will expire 10 days after my move, but as per my knowledge, even 1 day of validity should be good enough for the exchange. - correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks !

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
Does the drivers license exchange have to be done within 90 days of landing as a PR?

I ask since I soft landed, but did not have the right kind of driving history record for Wisconsin (I had an online one, and the College Park Service Ontario location told me that I needed a certified record for Wisconsin, not an online one).

Now, I'm in a situation where I had to come back to the US after the soft landing, and I am going to be going back only after about 4 months post landing first time.

Anybody with similar experiences? exchanging US DL with ON DL after 3 months of landing?

Fozibehr

Nov 22, 2017
Do they take away your US license when they exchange it for a Canadian G license? I would like to keep my US license as I plan on dividing my time between Vancouver and Seattle.
Yes, they will take it away. You can only have one drivers license (CA or USA)

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
you do not need to take a road test to transfer your license. the 2 countries have reciprical agreements, meaning they will honor licenses from eachother. you need to take your current us license and your driving record to a designated "drive test" centre in your area. i believe the drive test centres are the only service ontario locations that can transfer licenses. this information is on the page you linked above. Read the section called "How to apply" and you'll see links for finding a drive test centre near you.
how many years of driving expereince is required on US license to get G license?