+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convert Intra company transfer work permit to Open work permit

KK R

Apr 19, 2018
Hi,

Currently i`m in canada deputed from indian based company on Temporary work permit of type( Intra company transfer) . Can i apply for an open work permit before current visa expires? am i eligible to work here for deferent employer?

Plz Let me know if anybody went through this criteria?

Thanks
K

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Currently i`m in canada deputed from indian based company on Temporary work permit of type( Intra company transfer) . Can i apply for an open work permit before current visa expires? am i eligible to work here for deferent employer?

Plz Let me know if anybody went through this criteria?

Thanks
K
Based on the information you've provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit.

Open work permits are only granted in very specific circumstances (e.g. you have a spouse in Canada on a closed work permit, you have a spouse in Canada on a study permit, you have applied for PR and your application has been received and accepted, etc.).

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi @scylla @legalfalcon or anyone,

Could you please provide us the best suggestion in below case. This is for my friend.

His wife is in canada on study permit from Jan 2021 on 2 year study visa.

In Mar 2022, my friend company raised his closed work permit and he got it in Jun 2022. But now his company is saying there is no project available. Is there any way to convert the Closed workpermit to Open work permit. Or Is it better to raise the Open Work permit separately.

Also, I heard from someone that, if he use the Closed work permit and travel also, at border if he is able to submit all the documents they can issue Open work permit. Could you please suggest which is the best way to proceed.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla @legalfalcon or anyone,

Could you please provide us the best suggestion in below case. This is for my friend.

His wife is in canada on study permit from Jan 2021 on 2 year study visa.

In Mar 2022, my friend company raised his closed work permit and he got it in Jun 2022. But now his company is saying there is no project available. Is there any way to convert the Closed workpermit to Open work permit. Or Is it better to raise the Open Work permit separately.

Also, I heard from someone that, if he use the Closed work permit and travel also, at border if he is able to submit all the documents they can issue Open work permit. Could you please suggest which is the best way to proceed.
You cannot "convert" a closed work permit to an open work permit. A separately application needs to be submitted to get the open work permit. I can't answer the rest of your questions.

nage.sai94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
You cannot "convert" a closed work permit to an open work permit. A separately application needs to be submitted to get the open work permit. I can't answer the rest of your questions.
Thank You for response @scylla
I have one more question, As his closed work permit is already there, can he raise for the open work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have one more question, As his closed work permit is already there, can he raise for the open work permit?
I don't understand what you are asking.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As replied, there is no "open work permit to raise".

Since his work for the closed work permit is not available any more he cannot work.

As a spouse of a study visa holder, his spouse can apply SOWP for him. It's a totally NEW application that's NOT related to his existing closed work permit. BTW SOWP for spouse of international studen is NOT guaranteed.

TrackUser06

Jul 15, 2022
Sorry to hijack this post.
I have a query on similar lines - If I have an open work permit based on spouse’s ICT visa, Is there a location constraint on where I can work? Spouse’s employer said that there is a location restriction on his ICT visa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sorry to hijack this post.
I have a query on similar lines - If I have an open work permit based on spouse’s ICT visa, Is there a location constraint on where I can work? Spouse’s employer said that there is a location restriction on his ICT visa.
1. No, you can work wherever you want, subject to medical requirements (hospitals, children, etc)

Reactions: TrackUser06