+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convert ICT closed work permit to open work permit when my spouse is in Canada

Antara2195

Jan 29, 2024
Hi,
Here is my situation -
My husband is on ICT closed work permit visa and has travelled to Canada.
Since we are in same company I also have same closed work visa stamped.

Now company is going through situation they cannot provide me project to send me there on the work visa

I got to know that you can travel on the closed work permit visa and at the border can convert it to open work permit? Is this thing possible since my spouse holds a valid work visa
and what are the requirements that have to be met for this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Here is my situation -
My husband is on ICT closed work permit visa and has travelled to Canada.
Since we are in same company I also have same closed work visa stamped.

Now company is going through situation they cannot provide me project to send me there on the work visa

I got to know that you can travel on the closed work permit visa and at the border can convert it to open work permit? Is this thing possible since my spouse holds a valid work visa
and what are the requirements that have to be met for this?

Do you work for Tata consulting. This seem to be a pattern. They seek to offer everyone an ICT application but in reality most are told the clients are unwilling to pay for you to work from Canada and if you go to Canada you will not have a position. One day IRCC will eventually stop approving ICT if they continue to apply for ICTs while there is no position in Canada. If you aren’t working for Tata disregard the post.

You should be applying for the OWP from your home country. If you come to Canada on your ICT you can be asked to provide proof or IRCC can confirm with your employer that there is a position for you in Canada. If you are able to enter Canada yes you can attempt to convert your closed WP to an SOWP at a land border. When did you spouse come to Canada and start working in Canada? When does his WP expire? When was your ICT granted and what is the expiry date before you must land on the ICT?

Antara2195

Jan 29, 2024
No its not Tata consulting
My company is trying for my position but since no one expected recession to hit so bad they are also helpless.

few follow up questions-
If I apply OWP from home country is there any chances of rejection since I already have valid work visa till 2026 mar? And how much processing time will it take?
Second question as you said I can travel with this and can convert into OWP at the border then what documents is required ? And is it a full proof method?

ourcanadavisa

Nov 24, 2016
I have a similar inquiry on behalf of a friend who is currently employed at a startup under a closed work permit. Unfortunately, he lacks sufficient points in the Express Entry (EE) system to receive an invitation. His company is willing to provide him with a managerial position, allowing him to claim 200 points and potentially secure the invitation. Here are the questions:

1. Will he need to apply for a new work permit?
  2. Does he have to return to his home country and submit a fresh application?
  3. What is the likelihood of the work permit being rejected with these changes?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a similar inquiry on behalf of a friend who is currently employed at a startup under a closed work permit. Unfortunately, he lacks sufficient points in the Express Entry (EE) system to receive an invitation. His company is willing to provide him with a managerial position, allowing him to claim 200 points and potentially secure the invitation. Here are the questions:

1. Will he need to apply for a new work permit?
  2. Does he have to return to his home country and submit a fresh application?
  3. What is the likelihood of the work permit being rejected with these changes?
A managerial position is not enough to get the 200 points.

ourcanadavisa

Nov 24, 2016
Thank you for your reply. From what I gather, his company is committed to assisting him in achieving the 200 points. His main worry revolves around the approval of the visa and the associated procedures.

ourcanadavisa

Nov 24, 2016
Applicants with an LMIA for employment as a senior manager (NOC 00) described under the National Occupational Code, will receive 200 points.

A senior manager position enough for the 200 points.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Applicants with an LMIA for employment as a senior manager (NOC 00) described under the National Occupational Code, will receive 200 points.

A senior manager position enough for the 200 points.
So which one because there are only 5 or 6 NOCs that are 00. He is not a legislator or senior government official. Assume he has the ECA/IELTS to meet the NOC too.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for the information. Let me check with him further details.
Is the company posting the job with senior manager (000) job with median salary to apply for LMIA? To get LMIA, salary must the median wage for the NOC too. So even for 20010 assume he is making around $62 per hour.

ourcanadavisa

Nov 24, 2016
Is the company posting the job with senior manager (000) job with median salary to apply for LMIA? To get LMIA, salary must the median wage for the NOC too. So even for 20010 assume he is making around $62 per hour.
I think the company will be posting the job.