+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convert dependent visa to open work permit

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
I have recently raised a Canadian work permit and dependent visa request. I work in an IT firm and the visa request is being processed right now. It is at the attorney for WP processing.
I actually wanted to apply for open work permit for my husband but I applied for dependent visa without realizing my company does get OWP done for the spouse.
Can you guys help with some information on how can I get the dependent visa converted to open work permit for my husband?
What is the process?
How much time will it take?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There isn't something called a dependent visa in Canada. You may have applied for a TRV or OWP for your spouse. You can't convert. You have to cancel one and apply from scratch.

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
There isn't something called a dependent visa in Canada. You may have applied for a TRV or OWP for your spouse. You can't convert. You have to cancel one and apply from scratch.
Thanks for replying!!!
I have applied for his trv visa thru my company, so that will get processed eventually.My work permit will be valid for 2 years
Assuming my husband can travel with me on trv. What is the quickest way to get a owp?
What are chances of rejection?
What are absolutely necessary things for owp?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should apply for an owp as soon as you can because it will be processed like anyone else. It will take around 4 months. Sometimes shorter sometimes longer. You've applied for a visitor visa for your spouse (TRV).

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
You should apply for an owp as soon as you can because it will be processed like anyone else. It will take around 4 months. Sometimes shorter sometimes longer. You've applied for a visitor visa for your spouse (TRV).
Wont the trv help us in anyway? May be the process will be a little faster with the trv?

shri1983

Sep 4, 2018
I have recently raised a Canadian work permit and dependent visa request. I work in an IT firm and the visa request is being processed right now. It is at the attorney for WP processing.
I actually wanted to apply for open work permit for my husband but I applied for dependent visa without realizing my company does get OWP done for the spouse.
Can you guys help with some information on how can I get the dependent visa converted to open work permit for my husband?
What is the process?

Hi
I am in same boat, My wife is getting ICT transfer to Canada. She is also getting the visa for 2 years. We have already filed her application . We are confused what is best way to apply my visa so i can accompany her.
Please guide me if you can
Is your hubby visa approved ?
Did you create your hubby visa application from your own online account

Sorry for the questions but pls guide if you can

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
I
Hi
I am in same boat, My wife is getting ICT transfer to Canada. She is also getting the visa for 2 years. We have already filed her application . We are confused what is best way to apply my visa so i can accompany her.
Please guide me if you can
Is your hubby visa approved ?
Did you create your hubby visa application from your own online account

Sorry for the questions but pls guide if you can
I am looking for guidance myself. Asking around questions in the forums and reading thru threads. My visa should get processed in a month or two. Hopefully Husbands trv will get processed alongwith mine.
One thing that i have understood is that if the wp is applied after reaching Canada processing time is 6 weeks. From India processing time is 17 weeks. You can confirm that urself from the immigration site itself.
Please keep posting about your findings and what ur are planning to do. I will do the same. It will be very helpful!!

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
I

I am looking for guidance myself. Asking around questions in the forums and reading thru threads. My visa should get processed in a month or two. Hopefully Husbands trv will get processed alongwith mine.
One thing that i have understood is that if the wp is applied after reaching Canada processing time is 6 weeks. From India processing time is 17 weeks. You can confirm that urself from the immigration site itself.
Please keep posting about your findings and what ur are planning to do. I will do the same. It will be very helpful!!
Just want to clarify i was talking about spouse dependent open work permit for my husband

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
Hey, how did it go for you? My wife has applied for ict and my application through her company is TRV since TCS does not process OWP for dependent. So, I'm planning to wait for her visa to be processed and then apply for OWP from India. Could you suggest the route you followed and the timescale it took?

What is the process?