+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contract job + Full time = 1yr? (T4 slips)

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm in hard situation right now and very confused, need help asap.
I am student, who took only 1 year program and I don't have opportunity to take second year. So I'll be issued with 1 year PGWP only. I planned to start working as full time and apply for Express Entry and Bridge Work Permit after this 1 year (I'll be able to score enough with this 1 year experience, noone gonna do LMIA for me). However, now my situation is that I have 4 month contract job (start from Jan) and then full-time after. NOC, position title, all will be the same. Basically 4 month contract + 8 months full time is 1 year experience. Can I count like this? I searched a lot and I find out that I have to have T4 slips in order to count my contract job as full-time. How I can get this T4 slips for 4 months if it's yearly document? Is it possible?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
Is this one year a masters program? Your experience should be ok for CEC. However, a lot can change with the Express entry within a year....just a note of warning.

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
it's post graduate college program (based on bachelor's degree from university from my country)

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
The thing is that, you cannot apply for PR via EE immediately you clock one year. You will need to wait for ITA, gather documents etc. This can take sometime especially PCC. If your pgwp expires after a year, you will need a valid reason to remain in the country. The bridge is for those that are waiting for decision on their application not those that are yet to apply. If you can I will advise you to spend an extra year so you can get your 3 years wp.

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
I can not unfortunately study more... That's the only option that I have for now.. But what with T4? Anyone knows about it anything? Do I need it, how to get it, can it be given for 4 month contract only in summer for example? (Contract term is from Jan to Apr/May)

rahulsrm

Jan 3, 2019
Hello Guys,

I was going through several blogs this morning and got confuse about the valid job experience in CEC category of express entry.

Here is my brief situation and would appreciate any comments/thoughts from you.

I am working as an independent contractor for a contracting agency in Ontario. This agency is further charging a Client (where I actually sits and work), I get paid from Agency and not directly from client.

I am currently on PGWP, and working for this agency for almost a year. As I am about to complete a year, I am planning to submit my profile for PR in CEC category of express entry. Many people/blogs says that my experience is not valid as it will come under "Self-Employment", but I am not sure as I got paid in a little different way from what other contractors generally get paid.

This agency deduct my CPP and EI but not the Taxes, they are also going to issue me a T4 for this period. So to support my experience i would be having the

I don't have a HST number.

1. Payslips (with Cpp and EI deductions)
2. Reference Letter from Agency stating my job duties in NOC category A
3. T4 issue from Agency.

Whats your thought, would my experience will be counted as a valid work experience from CIC?

Please share your valuable comments/thoughts.
Thanks