+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contract Job Experience confusion

jaskaran003

Oct 27, 2020
Hello,

I read all the comments in this thread and understood that we can apply for PR if we are working on a contract position (T4).

I was offered a contract position by Hays Recruiting to work for a client. My pay stubs come from hays and include all the deductions i.e. EI, income tax, and CPP.

I joined in March 2020 for a 6 months contract. My contract was then extended to the end of this year. I also have confirmation for the contract extendibility for the next year (2021). So I would have one year of experience by March 2021.

I recently got a letter of employment issued from Hays to apply for the health card. In the letter, they mention 'The letter will confirm that Jaskaran Singh was a temporary worker and was on the assignment through Hays beginning March 2020 .... '. It has all the other necessary information in the letter i.e. pay rate, number of hours per week, and the inclusion of such line 'Jaskaran Singh consistently worked on this assignment as {} since March 9, 2020 and anticipated end date of December 31, 2020'.

I want some advice that when I get back to the Hays people for the 'Reference letter' for my PR application and if they still mention it as 'temporary worker' there in the letter, will it make any negative impact?

After some research and asking a few people here n there, I believe that all contract positions (T4) are termed as temporary employees. And also if there is any good source/samples to see how the reference letters are made, it would be really helpful.

Rahul_Ram1008

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I couldn't able to get a clear answer. I have worked 4 months through an employment agency to an manufacturer and then later i got hired by the manufacturer. During those 4 months i got my paystubs from my employment agency and i got T4 for it. Also i don't know if i had other benefits.
Please someone let me know will this count as a work experience ? They are willing to give me reference letter.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I couldn't able to get a clear answer. I have worked 4 months through an employment agency to an manufacturer and then later i got hired by the manufacturer. During those 4 months i got my paystubs from my employment agency and i got T4 for it. Also i don't know if i had other benefits.
Please someone let me know will this count as a work experience ? They are willing to give me reference letter.
Yes it counts.

Rahul_Ram1008

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for your reply. Just one more question. Do my employment agency has to mention that I worked for their client (company name) in the reference letter ? Or they don't want to mention. Please let me know.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Just one more question. Do my employment agency has to mention that I worked for their client (company name) in the reference letter ? Or they don't want to mention. Please let me know.
Doesn’t hurt as most agencies will mention the company.

Jul 25, 2016
Hi Everyone...
I got a contract position for 11 Months (Jan 10th, 2021-10 Nov 2021) in an automobile firm as a Quality Technician(QT).
I have confused about this contract position. If I complete this contract period or only 6 months, can I count this toward Canadian work experience?
Is there any issue if I leave it after 6 months in case I got another opportunity?
Please Reply
Thanks

jaskaran003

Oct 27, 2020
Hello,

I read all the comments in this thread and understood that we can apply for PR if we are working on a contract position (T4).

I was offered a contract position by Hays Recruiting to work for a client. My pay stubs come from hays and include all the deductions i.e. EI, income tax, and CPP.

I joined in March 2020 for a 6 months contract. My contract was then extended to the end of this year. I also have confirmation for the contract extendibility for the next year (2021). So I would have one year of experience by March 2021.

I recently got a letter of employment issued from Hays to apply for the health card. In the letter, they mention 'The letter will confirm that Jaskaran Singh was a temporary worker and was on the assignment through Hays beginning March 2020 .... '. It has all the other necessary information in the letter i.e. pay rate, number of hours per week, and the inclusion of such line 'Jaskaran Singh consistently worked on this assignment as {} since March 9, 2020 and anticipated end date of December 31, 2020'.

I want some advice that when I get back to the Hays people for the 'Reference letter' for my PR application and if they still mention it as 'temporary worker' there in the letter, will it make any negative impact?

After some research and asking a few people here n there, I believe that all contract positions (T4) are termed as temporary employees. And also if there is any good source/samples to see how the reference letters are made, it would be really helpful.
Hello everyone can I please get a reply on this .. it will be really helpful thanks !!

dh301823

Dec 19, 2020
Hello All,

I have been reading all the responses. here is my similar case:
I have worked for 14 months for a client thru a placement agency. I was getting paid by the agency where they were deducting CPP & EI but NO income tax was deducted and told me that i will be responsible for my taxes. They also issued T4 where they didn't fill the employment income but while filing tax I included it in employment income. I have also gotten the reference letter on the letter head where they have mentioned the client name along iwth other details although the client for whom i worked they are not providing the letter.

Will this experience be counted and is there anyone with the same case. Also, lets say i include that and later if the CIC people consider it as self employed will I not be able to apply PR or how does it work?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,

I have been reading all the responses. here is my similar case:
I have worked for 14 months for a client thru a placement agency. I was getting paid by the agency where they were deducting CPP & EI but NO income tax was deducted and told me that i will be responsible for my taxes. They also issued T4 where they didn't fill the employment income but while filing tax I included it in employment income. I have also gotten the reference letter on the letter head where they have mentioned the client name along iwth other details although the client for whom i worked they are not providing the letter.

Will this experience be counted and is there anyone with the same case. Also, lets say i include that and later if the CIC people consider it as self employed will I not be able to apply PR or how does it work?

Thanks
You can count it if through the agency.

dh301823

Dec 19, 2020
Thank you
So, should we put that agency name in the Employers name while creating the profile in work history section?
Also, while submitting docs wont it be a problem that the letter from client wont be there.
Did you also face the same issue. I am just worried about the consequences.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you
So, should we put that agency name in the Employers name while creating the profile in work history section?
Also, while submitting docs wont it be a problem that the letter from client wont be there.
Did you also face the same issue. I am just worried about the consequences.
The agency is your employer since your employment letter is also for them. Not an issue, many people work on contract through agencies.

Aug 15, 2021
Hey guys, I have 3 years experience as an assistant professor but on contract basis on 6 months intervals like 6 months contract then 2 days gap and then again 6 months contract. Please tell me is my experience eligible for FSW or PNP programs?

Aug 15, 2021
Hey guys, I have 3 years experience as an assistant professor but on contract basis on 6 months intervals like 6 months contract then 2 days gap and then again 6 months contract. Please tell me is my experience eligible for FSW or PNP programs?