+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuous work experience and unpaid vacation

Rosalie87

May 9, 2014
Hi all,

just came across another potential issue with the system.

So EE awards me with 40 points for 1 year continuous work experience in Canada, because I entered the dates that I have been employed like this:

Nov 2013 - Jun 2014
July 2014 - present

However, I have small gaps in my employment - one was in July (I had to wait for my new visa, and therefore entered it as described above.
The second gap is an unpaid vacation in August - September. I was gone for 3 weeks, which of course I will have to state in my Travel history.

I was still employed with my company of course, and have been ever since, but I guess it counts as unpaid leave.

What are the recommendations here - how to proceed?

one option would be to put the following:

Nov 2013 - Jun 2014
July 2014 - August 2014
September 2014 - present

The system would probably still award me with 40 points, but it would be closer to the truth, I suppose.

Any recommendations?

kakeda

Mar 10, 2015
This entire work experience and number of hours is not explained properly and is super confusing to me by CIC, they clearly did a shitty job in phrasing the requirements.

EEdreams15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd say go with the second option. Be as truthful as you can.

Cheers!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
In my mind, unpaid holiday is not the same as quitting then come back to the same company.

For example, if I took 2 days of unpaid leave for tomorrow and the day after, that doesn't mean I quit the company after today and then got hired back 2 days after. Your company should have a record of your unpaid leave and not a resignation. More of the point, if you quit a company, Service Canada will have a record of employment for the position (usually company keeps it, but sometimes they give you a copy), which you won't have since it's a unpaid holiday.

So I think you can put Jul 2014-present. Although you will need to state your unpaid leave, because those times are not being counted in 1 year CEC experiences.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
mf4361 said:
In my mind, unpaid holiday is not the same as quitting then come back to the same company.

For example, if I took 2 days of unpaid leave for tomorrow and the day after, that doesn't mean I quit the company after today and then got hired back 2 days after. Your company should have a record of your unpaid leave and not a resignation. More of the point, if you quit a company, Service Canada will have a record of employment for the position (usually company keeps it, but sometimes they give you a copy), which you won't have since it's a unpaid holiday.

So I think you can put Jul 2014-present. Although you will need to state your unpaid leave, because those times are not being counted in 1 year CEC experiences.
will the situation be different if it was paid vacation??

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
dukhi said:
will the situation be different if it was paid vacation??
Paid vacation definitely should be included in work history/experiences. Pay slips will show the hours claimed and how much it got paid. And it will be counted towards 1 year CEC experiences.

Rosalie87

May 9, 2014
So tricky!
I think I'll go with the second option to be sure. At least they can't blame me for lying then, even if it might seem confusing that I entered 3 separate work experiences with the same employer in the same position (which means I have to upload 3 different reference documents as well)

I also found this in another thread. It's not exactly EE related, but I guess it's a good indicator what they're after:

Definition of continuous employment from FSW Operating Manual:

Eligible NOC Codes Stream: Applicants must have at least one year of continuous full-time or
equivalent paid work experience in at least one of the listed NOCs and not combined partial year
experience in multiple NOCs. Anticipated short breaks between jobs are acceptable. For example, if an
applicant is employed in one occupation for a 4 month contract and before the end of that contract, has
secured other employment that will begin shortly after the end of first contract, this break in continuity
would be acceptable. The occupation must be listed in the MI.

Theo123

Star Member
Jan 17, 2015
are you saying that they will have to ask you for your payslips eventually? i mean, im okay with providing payslips for the last 3-4 years but surely, any normal person would have already thrown away their payslip of the last 5 years and older. how are you suppose to provide that if they are going to ask for it?