+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuing process outside Canada

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
I applied on Jan, I'm currently taking the test. I have a very long and expensive trip to Asia this June. And I wish to close my Canada apartment, and move to Asia. Alternative is spending a lot of time here, paying a lot of rent here, and flying back just to grab my passport.

I'm just worried about my citizenship process and my passport. My guess is I might have my passport by June, but most likely I'll be at the end stages of application, like Oath Letter/Ceremony by then.

1. Is it a problem if I do the steps: Oath Letter Date & Oath Ceremony while out of country? (I have VPN if needed)
2. Do I need to be physically present in the country for any upcoming steps?
2. Is there any negatives of applying for my passport from an embassy in another country?
4. I'll basically be a tourist in this country and do not know any Canadians or any local authorities that can be my Guarantor. Any suggestions there?

Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I applied on Jan, I'm currently taking the test. I have a very long and expensive trip to Asia this June. And I wish to close my Canada apartment, and move to Asia. Alternative is spending a lot of time here, paying a lot of rent here, and flying back just to grab my passport.

I'm just worried about my citizenship process and my passport. My guess is I might have my passport by June, but most likely I'll be at the end stages of application, like Oath Letter/Ceremony by then.

1. Is it a problem if I do the steps: Oath Letter Date & Oath Ceremony while out of country? (I have VPN if needed)
2. Is there any negatives of applying for my passport from an embassy in another country?
4. I'll basically be a tourist in this country and do not know any Canadians or any local authorities that can be my Guarantor. Any suggestions there?

Thank you
For attending Oath ceremony whether its virtual or in person will have to be when you are physically present in Canada
After the ceremony you need the citizenship certificate which takes few days or few weeks to be delivered in Canada or US. IRCC will not deliver it outside of these 2 countries

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

Thank you
1-oath can take you are in canada only
2-yes if not your application go to hold (non routine)
3-your pr is cut 4 pieces you not able to leave canada until you get canada passport
4-this is not matter IF YAVE NOT KNOW AN ELIGIBLE GUARANTOR FOR LEAST 2 YEARS COMPLETE FORM PPTC 132 AVAILABLE ANY PASSPORT OFFICE IN CANADA/USA

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
For attending Oath ceremony whether its virtual or in person will have to be when you are physically present in Canada
Does it matter if I use VPN? This sounds like a formality if it is virtual?

After the ceremony you need the citizenship certificate which takes few days or few weeks to be delivered in Canada or US. IRCC will not deliver it outside of these 2 countries
So I cannot obtain a passport without the citizenship certificate?

Follow up question: If I leave the country and come back 6 months later, they'll be able to ship me a citizenship certificate and I'll be able to obtain passport then?

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018

3-your pr is cut 4 pieces you not able to leave canada until you get canada passport
I don't think they check my PR while leaving Canada?
But I guess I cannot come back in?

4-this is not matter IF YAVE NOT KNOW AN ELIGIBLE GUARANTOR FOR LEAST 2 YEARS COMPLETE FORM PPTC 132 AVAILABLE ANY PASSPORT OFFICE IN CANADA/USA
I didn't quite understand this

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

So I cannot obtain a passport without the citizenship certificate?

Follow up question: If I leave the country and come back 6 months later, they'll be able to ship me a citizenship certificate and I'll be able to obtain passport then?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-ceremony/video.html
You cannot obtain passport w/o certificate
IRCC does not run a personal concierge

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
2-yes if not your application go to hold (non routine)
3-your pr is cut 4 pieces you not able to leave canada until you get canada passport.
You can leave Canada on the existing valid passport of your home country but cannot return to Canada

Reactions: snoopyta and esqart

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So the best course of action would be to contact them and delay the Oath if I am in that step and out of the country. I assume I can postpone the Oath for like 6 months?
Once you request them to postpone the Oath they will ask you to provide details on when will you come back.
There is no guarantee that they will schedule the Oath when you come back as I said about IRCC does not provide concierge service..

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

I don't think they check my PR while leaving Canada?
But I guess I cannot come back in?

I didn't quite understand this
IF YOU DON'T HAVE GUARANTOR FILL PPTC 132 FORM FORM THIS FORM COMPLETED BY NOTARY THIS COUNT AS YOUR GUARANTOR YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT

salamiz

Oct 13, 2018
can someone enlighten me, what is the guarantor required for ?

if you have your citizenship certificate, do you need a guarantor for first time passport issuance ?