+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continue to use foreign driver's license after passing knowledge test?

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

I have a valid foreign driver's license from non-reciprocal exchange country. This means I have to take the knowledge test then the road test to get my BC license.

I have up to 90 days after landing to get my BC license... my question is, after I pass knowledge test and get the Learner's License, can I continue to keep my foreign license and drive with it until I pass my road test?

The reason is because Learner's license has many restrictions especially the part about not being able to drive alone.

I had a friend who recently did his knowledge test and the ICBC officer allowed him to keep his foreign license... but I also read online about somebody else who had his foreign license taken by ICBC upon passing the knowledge test... So I am confused...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Regardless of whether they let you keep the physical license, the issue is whether it would be legal to drive using the foreign license when you are a licensed driver acc to local laws - and to do it to get around restrictions. And just as importantly, would you be insured to do so.

And the answer is almost certainly not and could get you in a lot of trouble.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can use your foreign license until one of the following comes first:

1) Police seize your foreign license
2) You passed your road test and you surrendered your foreign license

Reactions: Tubsmagee

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
I certainly don't want to get into any trouble so I am going to ask ICBC about it directly. Guess that's the best way.

If it is not allowed then I won't do it. Then I guess the alternative is to practise driving on my own with my foreign license until I am confident enough then take the knowledge test and sign up for the earliest possible road test...

Reactions: armoured

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

I have a valid foreign driver's license from non-reciprocal exchange country. This means I have to take the knowledge test then the road test to get my BC license.

I have up to 90 days after landing to get my BC license... my question is, after I pass knowledge test and get the Learner's License, can I continue to keep my foreign license and drive with it until I pass my road test?

The reason is because Learner's license has many restrictions especially the part about not being able to drive alone.

I had a friend who recently did his knowledge test and the ICBC officer allowed him to keep his foreign license... but I also read online about somebody else who had his foreign license taken by ICBC upon passing the knowledge test... So I am confused...
you have 6 months when you arrive to Canada.
I used my driver's licence for 1 year
just drive safe and slow

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Driver license is a provincial thing. You used 1 year doesn't mean the other person also can.
It's also irrelevant here because the question is not whether one can continue to use a foreign DL in Canada for a while after arriving (you rightly said it depends on province) - the question is whether one can continue to use the foreign DL after getting a local provincial DL.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
When I came to Canada years ago, ICBC collected my reciprocal driver's license when exchanged for the BC one. I have never seen my European license again..

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019

Hi @ratsalad
How did you manage to take the knowledge test? My understanding is that you would need bring the physical PR card to ICBC for the knowledge test as a form of ID. Since it is taking more than 3 months to get the PR card, may I asked what you used for your primary and secondary IDs at ICBC before the 3-month period ended? I am in the same situation (wanting to exchange my non-reciprocal foreign license for a BC one).

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019

@ratsalad did you find out if you could still use ur foreign license after passing the knowledge test? Did they take away your foreign license?

za_skrub

Star Member
Sep 13, 2020
@ratsalad did you find out if you could still use ur foreign license after passing the knowledge test? Did they take away your foreign license?
BELOW IS FOR BC PROVINCE

Dunno if you are still in question but - if you have a valid foreign DL & passed knowledge test & is within 3 mths of arrival, then obviously you can use your foreign DL & waive the requirement where you have to drive under a senior driver's supervision.

You will first have to show the ICBC personnel you are in possession of a valid foreign DL. If it's in another language you'd have to bring in certified translation (ICBC has a list of approved translators). Once you pass the knowledge test you will be assigned a temporary ID which will be affixed to your foreign DL. Your DL and certified translation docs will be photocopied. The expiry date (end of 3-month mark) will also be noted.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I found this:

Drivers licensed outside of B.C.
Visitors
If you are a visitor to B.C. you can drive for up to six months if you hold a valid foreign or out-of-province licence. Any restrictions on your licence apply in B.C.

Visiting students
If you are a foreign or out-of-province student, you can drive with a valid foreign or out-of-province driver’s licence for longer than six months. You must be a registered, full-time student at a recognized institution. You must also carry your student ID to show police you’re a student.

New residents
If you hold a valid driver's licence from outside B.C., you can continue to use it for 90 days. After 90 days, your out-of-province licence is not valid in B.C.

It's best to apply for a B.C. licence as soon as you move here. If you have a valid licence from elsewhere, you must produce it when police ask or they’ll give you a Notice of Driving Prohibition.

If you produce a valid licence, police will allow you to continue unless they have evidence you should hold a B.C. licence.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/roadsafetybc/high-risk/without-valid-dl#:~:text=If you are a foreign,police you're a student.
I'm not sure how different it is between provinces, but in Ontario, I was able to drive for the first 3 months after I arrived with my foreign driver's license from a non-reciprocal exchange country. I rented a car a couple of times and every time I went to the rental place they asked me for my passport to verify I had not been more than three months in the province. After that, I was not able to drive.

I then took the knowledge test, got my beginner license (G1 in Ontario) and I was able to go straight to my road test without waiting for a year after showing my foreign license and proof that I've been driving for more than 5 years. But I was not able to drive a car until I passed my road test and got my full license (G in Ontario).

Short answer: you can't drive in Ontario after 3 months with a foreign driver's license from a non-reciprocal exchange country even if you passed the knowledge test. Every province is different, but I couldn't find any information stating that this specific rule is different in BC from ON.