Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
I'm thinking of contacting my local MP to see if they are able to get an update on my file. my PR card is about to expire, I've been sitting at DM made for 3 months while others are getting their Oath scheduled who got DM after me, and I'm about to have a baby. Would really be great if I can have my Citizenship before that so I don't have to delay the oath if it is poorly timed.

I'm not sure what to include in an email to them. If there is anyone who has written to their MP, any help on what to include and what to send them is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm thinking of contacting my local MP to see if they are able to get an update on my file. my PR card is about to expire, I've been sitting at DM made for 3 months while others are getting their Oath scheduled who got DM after me, and I'm about to have a baby. Would really be great if I can have my Citizenship before that so I don't have to delay the oath if it is poorly timed.

I'm not sure what to include in an email to them. If there is anyone who has written to their MP, any help on what to include and what to send them is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Not much your MP can do to expedite.

Reactions: snoopyta

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I'm thinking of contacting my local MP to see if they are able to get an update on my file. my PR card is about to expire, I've been sitting at DM made for 3 months while others are getting their Oath scheduled who….

Thanks!
Dear MP XYZ

I am writing to request for your help in finding out the status of my application for Canadian citizenship.

I applied vide Application No. Cxxxxxxxx in MMM YYYY .Some time in July / August ……I received notification that my application has been received and it is in process. I was called for the citizenship test and interview on Feb………. I passed the exam & during the interview, I was asked to submit some additional documents which I did in xxxxxxxxx

After that there has been no further update. Some time last year, I submitted a request under Access to Information and received notes that IRCC has received my documents and that it continues to be 'In Process'.

I was hoping you would be able to request IRCC on my behalf for an update on my application and timelines, if any for closure.

TY

Xxxxx xxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx
Xxxxxx

Tackica

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Anyone got any success by contacting their MP?
I did. I contacted twice. First time, it was in 2019, regarding my returned citizenship application. My MP initiated the process, but as soon as IRCC brushed her off, she brushed me off, too. I was angry and discouraged. Second time, it was in December 2021. It was about my PR renewal in process waaaaaay longer than the average wait time. I had to provide the proof of my essential and urgent travel. She did help me and had the process expedited. I got the renewed document, but still I waited a month and a half for the "fast track" process.
In my opinion, MPs can help, but you really need to have a solid reason to ask for their help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did. I contacted twice. First time, it was in 2019, regarding my returned citizenship application. My MP initiated the process, but as soon as IRCC brushed her off, she brushed me off, too. I was angry and discouraged. Second time, it was in December 2021. It was about my PR renewal in process waaaaaay longer than the average wait time. I had to provide the proof of my essential and urgent travel. She did help me and had the process expedited. I got the renewed document, but still I waited a month and a half for the "fast track" process.
In my opinion, MPs can help, but you really need to have a solid reason to ask for their help.
You usually have to have been waiting much longer than other current applicants for them to be able to intervene.

Tackica

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
You usually have to have been waiting much longer than other current applicants for them to be able to intervene.
I agree with you. When I contacted my MP, my PR card renewal was in the process for about 200 days (versus 120 days on average). She tried to get rid of me saying that I can apply for the PRTD at the destination. That was horribly risky for me, because already in December there were some hints that Canada might withdraw its diplomatic staff from Ukraine and that there would be no one to issue me a temporary travel document. My MP accepted to help, but I had to provide the proof of urgency and proof of the essential nature of my travel. In the end, it took them 242 days altogether to issue me the new PR card.

Reactions: Lc4life

Tackica

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks!
I understand your situation. I really do. However, if your baby is expected to be born in Canada, I don't think your reason is strong enough to make your MP expedite the process. Still, if you decide to write to them, I suggest you to be concise as much as possible. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand your situation. I really do. However, if your baby is expected to be born in Canada, I don't think your reason is strong enough to make your MP expedite the process. Still, if you decide to write to them, I suggest you to be concise as much as possible. Good luck with everything!
Even if the baby isn’t scheduled to be born in Canada this isn’t really an urgent situation just a situation of everyday life. If you aren’t in Canada and applying for citizenship you accept the inconvenience of coming back to Canada.

Tackica

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Even if the baby isn’t scheduled to be born in Canada this isn’t really an urgent situation just a situation of everyday life. If you aren’t in Canada and applying for citizenship you accept the inconvenience of coming back to Canada.
If they are expecting the baby outside of Canada and the OP's PR card is about to expire, then I think the reason is valid enough to try.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
thinking more along the lines of ive been waiting long enough while others are getting their oath, and the last thing i want to do is say to IRCC I cant attend the oath because i'll be in the middle of dealing with a birth. That'll put me right at the bottom of the pile and i'll be looking at another significantdelay to the process. and with no PR card (a procses that is taking about 4-6 months itself right now) i cant leave the country to visit my really sick old family memebrs. But we shall see.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
i got some help from a senator, but that was to help get my case out of grid lock / security vetting
Could you be a little more specific? My MP's office said that they have no influence on IRCC. Did you know the senator personally or just asked them for help?

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Could you be a little more specific? My MP's office said that they have no influence on IRCC. Did you know the senator personally or just asked them for help?
Was a friend of a friend , I was telling him about my dilemma, he said he knows a senator and would reach out to him, a day or so late the PA for the senator reached out to me, and about 2 days later the immigration team called me to explain what the issues were, we worked together with the uk home office to release my information, I had to send a recorded letter to the home office in Whitehall UK, and they released my security details for ‘said use’ purpose.

I used to work with the royal,family, which meant that my details are locked down, the home office spoke direct to the case manager ‘ or someone senior from the immigration team, who then took my case on.

Reactions: akbardxb