+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacting a potential research supervisor

Osz

Mar 18, 2018
Please after you contact a potential research supervisor, how long does it take to get a reply? I contacted a department head and he replied immediately but have not got a reply from a potential research supervisor I contacted.

jasperjazz

Mar 14, 2017
Manchester
Category........
Actually research supervisors do that but you send him a formal and polite reminder email. Usually supervisors reply immediately once they find your proposal interesting.

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Please after you contact a potential research supervisor, how long does it take to get a reply? I contacted a department head and he replied immediately but have not got a reply from a potential research supervisor I contacted.
I send 150 mails and got 2 replies. It’s not easy to find a supervisor but not impossible. Keep sending mails someone will respond.

Osz

Mar 18, 2018
Thanks so much for this information. I pray God continue to bless you. I was almost discouraged.

jasperjazz

Mar 14, 2017
Manchester
Category........
Don't be discouraged at all. I'd say approach many professors(yes, it can be notoriously hard) but, it pays off when you get a rejection, there's always another chance for you. Currently I'm contacting potentially supervisors too.

Tarek9966

Aug 20, 2018
Oman
Category........
STUDY
I'm constantly receiving negative response from all the prospective supervisors I have tried to contact.
Any suggestions?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm constantly receiving negative response from all the prospective supervisors I have tried to contact.
Any suggestions?
Look at each program and find a supervisor whose area of study/research matches your own. Then contact with specific reasons why you want to work with that superviso.

Tarek9966

Aug 20, 2018
Oman
Category........
STUDY
I've already done that but unfortunately when I toned down the supervisors based on my research interests and program of interest, 90% of them responded with "I am currently not taking any graduate students." And the others didn't respond back at all.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
I've already done that but unfortunately when I toned down the supervisors based on my research interests and program of interest, 90% of them responded with "I am currently not taking any graduate students." And the others didn't respond back at all.
Total how many professors did you email? What did you email them? And what are the things you wrote in the CV you shared with them?