+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Considering in-land sponsorship of girlfriend from Hong Kong

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
This is kind of related to what I had posted earlier, just wondering if anyone has some advice.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsor-potential-wife-from-hong-kong-t68539.0.html

I intend to marry my girlfriend from Hong Kong so that I can sponsor her to Canada and start a life there. We are both 26 years old. She used to hold student and new grad work permits in Canada, but she left a few months ago because she was unable to find work to extend it, and well for complicated reasons we didn't get legally married yet.

Would it make sense for her to try to apply for a working holiday visa, since HK people are allowed to get it now? She used to hold a new grad work permit, I don't know if there's a high risk of getting denied, at least with this it buys her extra time while the in-land sponsorship is processed and we can stay together and she can work. And the first stage approval takes about 10 months, so maybe by this time she can have an other open work permit and she can continue to work.

For emotional reasons she would like to have her marriage registration in Hong Kong, but I have a feeling this might hinder the application process because it shows she has intent of staying, and either a visit or a working holiday is supposed to be temporary in nature. Would it better if she was still "single"? She holds HKSAR and BNO passports.

We do not have money for any traditional celebrations, so this may also be a red flag to immigration.

Does anyone have advice? I'm already trying my best to handle this out of the emotional and legal situations, but I need a bit of sanity and this place is good for that.

As an aside for an outland application it will take 19 months from HK now, is this really any faster for HK residents? She's not a mainlander.

Thanks a ton! :D

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Better to convince your girlfriend to register your marriage in Canada to avoid the following debatable issue:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-help-for-marital-status-clarification-for-my-husband-in-canada-t61736.0.html

However, I don't consider the registration in Hong Kong shows any of her intent of staying in Hong Kong. Use her HKSAR passport to come here enter as a visitor first and once she is in Canada, you can submit the spousal sponsorship immediately. This should be the fastest way for both of you to be together in Canada versus the ones in your mind. For info how this can be worked out, read this sticky post by Leon:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Many couples don't have the money for traditional celebrations, especially in today's economic crisis. Relax, if you don't have any celebrations, just provide your reasons on a separate piece of paper.

Mrs Proper

Apr 2, 2011
Visa Office......
kgn
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-20-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Med's Request
redo May 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
oct19,2011
VISA ISSUED...
oct 25,2011
LANDED..........
landed in toronto oct 27,2011
Yup me and my husband dint have a traditional wedding either. We did get married in a church but only a handful of ppl were there. We plan to redo everything when he reaches canada. I don't think the size of your wedding matters or how you do it. I think proving yer case is tho!

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paperball said:
This is kind of related to what I had posted earlier, just wondering if anyone has some advice.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsor-potential-wife-from-hong-kong-t68539.0.html

I intend to marry my girlfriend from Hong Kong so that I can sponsor her to Canada and start a life there. We are both 26 years old. She used to hold student and new grad work permits in Canada, but she left a few months ago because she was unable to find work to extend it, and well for complicated reasons we didn't get legally married yet.

Would it make sense for her to try to apply for a working holiday visa, since HK people are allowed to get it now? She used to hold a new grad work permit, I don't know if there's a high risk of getting denied, at least with this it buys her extra time while the in-land sponsorship is processed and we can stay together and she can work. And the first stage approval takes about 10 months, so maybe by this time she can have an other open work permit and she can continue to work.

For emotional reasons she would like to have her marriage registration in Hong Kong, but I have a feeling this might hinder the application process because it shows she has intent of staying, and either a visit or a working holiday is supposed to be temporary in nature. Would it better if she was still "single"? She holds HKSAR and BNO passports.

We do not have money for any traditional celebrations, so this may also be a red flag to immigration.Don't worry. I and my husband did not have traditional celebrations neither, instead I just casually celebrated with family and friends. I attached the photos of those gatherings with my application and explained to the visa office that we are not event-planning type. Fortunately, the visa office waived me from a selection interview

Does anyone have advice? I'm already trying my best to handle this out of the emotional and legal situations, but I need a bit of sanity and this place is good for that.

As an aside for an outland application it will take 19 months from HK now, is this really any faster for HK residents? She's not a mainlander.I am a Hong Kong resident and my husband is a Canada citizen. We sent the outland application from Vancouver in end-May. The Hong Kong visa office received our application in July 25. On Aug 22 I got a letter from the consulate waiving me an interview and also said that upon receipt of all other documentation, they expect to finalize my application and issue a visa. I am still waiting anxiously to hear from them.

The 19-mth figure apply to 80% of applications, which usually require interviews. I guess I am not in the 80% club and hopefully it will take short time. I heard from some other applicants who are also waived from interview, they got approved in just 4-5 months.

So I think the most important thing for you is to gather as much relationship proof as possible

Thanks a ton! :D

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Applicants who are from Hong Kong seem to get their PR visa app processed faster than applicants from the Mainland who have to apply through the Hong Kong visa office.

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
Applicants who are from Hong Kong seem to get their PR visa app processed faster than applicants from the Mainland who have to apply through the Hong Kong visa office.
Hi there, I got my decision made today! So happy! :D

Today is Oct 10. The HK visa office received my application on July 6. That means it takes the VO around 3 months to process my case!

Cheers
FranFran

hongkongguy

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Hi FranFran,

Congratulations! I am shocked to learn that your application is approved just in 3 months time. I was wondering whether your spouse is in HK with you or he is in Canada? Would the processing time be faster if you and your spouse are separated in two different countries?

My wife just sponsored me in early October and I just wonder whether my application can be processed at the same speed as yours.

Cheers,
hongkongguy

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hongkongguy said:
Hi FranFran,

Congratulations! I am shocked to learn that your application is approved just in 3 months time. I was wondering whether your spouse is in HK with you or he is in Canada? Would the processing time be faster if you and your spouse are separated in two different countries?

My wife just sponsored me in early October and I just wonder whether my application can be processed at the same speed as yours.

Cheers,
hongkongguy
Hi Hong Kong guy

I'm excited!

I applied outland. I am a Hong Kong resident and my husband is a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver.

Outland applications should be processed at a faster speed. Do you apply inland or outland?

Good luck

Cheers
Fran

hongkongguy

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Hi Fran,

We applied outland....both my wife and I are in Hong Kong now...so I wonder if our application is processed the same as your application (since your husband is living in Vancouver now!).

So, when are you going to take off to Vancouver? My wife and I planned to move back to Vancouver in September next year.....don't know whether we get the approval by then.

Do you have any tips for me?

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hongkongguy said:
Hi Fran,

We applied outland....both my wife and I are in Hong Kong now...so I wonder if our application is processed the same as your application (since your husband is living in Vancouver now!).

So, when are you going to take off to Vancouver? My wife and I planned to move back to Vancouver in September next year.....don't know whether we get the approval by then.

Do you have any tips for me?
Hi HongKong guy

I think tips may not be useful for you now as you've handed in the application already. Anyway, can I know more about your case? Are you a Hong Kong resident first? I think applications handed in by Hong Kong residents are processed with faster speed.

Cheers
Francesca

hongkongguy

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Hi Fran,

Yes, I am a Hong Kong resident. In fact, my wife and I got married in Vancouver in December 2009 and just had our first baby in July this year. So, I guess they should not have many questions about our marriage.

Cheers,
Hong Kong Guy

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hongkongguy said:
Hi Fran,

Yes, I am a Hong Kong resident. In fact, my wife and I got married in Vancouver in December 2009 and just had our first baby in July this year. So, I guess they should not have many questions about our marriage.

Cheers,
Hong Kong Guy
Oh I see, no worries, your case is straightforward! I also got friends from Hong Kong having all things done within 5 months. I think you can get your decision made pretty soon!

By the way, did you say you wanna get back to Canada next Sep? I just think your medical results may have expired then!

hongkongguy

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Hi Fran,

Yes, we did mention in our application that we planned to move back to Vancouver in September next year because we want our son to receive better education in Canada. But I did not submit my medical report with the application as we were confused whether it should be done after they have sent our application. Some people told us that the Consulate will ask us to submit the medical report as well as the police certificate when everything is almost done. That's the only 2 things that we did not submit with our application. For police certificate, you can't apply one until you receive the offical letter from the Consulate. Should I wait for their instruction to do the medical? Or, should I do it now?

Please advise.

FranFran

Star Member
Sep 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hongkongguy said:
Hi Fran,

Yes, we did mention in our application that we planned to move back to Vancouver in September next year because we want our son to receive better education in Canada. But I did not submit my medical report with the application as we were confused whether it should be done after they have sent our application. Some people told us that the Consulate will ask us to submit the medical report as well as the police certificate when everything is almost done. That's the only 2 things that we did not submit with our application. For police certificate, you can't apply one until you receive the offical letter from the Consulate. Should I wait for their instruction to do the medical? Or, should I do it now?

Please advise.
First things first, have you handed in the application? I thought you have.

For HK residents, we need to hand in the medical results together with the application pack.

As for the police certificate, you will receive a letter from the consulate general later. You need to take this letter to the HK police for the police certificate.

hongkongguy

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
FranFran said:
First things first, have you handed in the application? I thought you have.

For HK residents, we need to hand in the medical results together with the application pack.

As for the police certificate, you will receive a letter from the consulate general later. You need to take this letter to the HK police for the police certificate.
Yes, I have just submitted the application earlier this month, but I did not include my medical in the application. Should I do the medical NOW or should we wait for further instructions from the Consulate. I think the application is still in Canada, if we were to do the medical now, would they able to match it with my application?