+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Considering Citizenship

Taiduffey65

Feb 16, 2018
Doesn’t make sense at age 65 and spouse at 56 to move to Canada if I choose to or not a good idea? We are both US citizens . I would need to get dual citizenship if I wanted to retain my Social Security I assume?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Doesn’t make sense at age 65 and spouse at 56 to move to Canada if I choose to or not a good idea? We are both US citizens . I would need to get dual citizenship if I wanted to retain my Social Security I assume?
You can't just move to Canada and get citizenship. You must first become PRs and unless you have Canadian children that can sponsor you, there is little chance that you will qualify for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Short answer is no - it doesn't make sense. It's most likely impossible.

Based on your age, it's extremely unlikely you will qualify to immigrate. Canada's immigration programs are aimed at young workers.

Unless you have grown children living in Canada who are Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents, you'll have to be satisfied with visiting Canada occasionally as a tourist.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
"...to move to Canada if I choose to..." sounds very intriguing. I do not think so you would choose. There is a process to get there...

As far as SS - no worries, it's all yours, just read more for US/Canada treaty.

As far as whether it make sense depends on what your goal is. If you would like to save on cost of living - no way, it's about the same depending of location. Please give more details on your situation.
Regardless "it's most likely impossible".

Taiduffey65

Feb 16, 2018
How were you planing on getting citizenship? Do you have children who are Canadian PR or citizens?
Thank you for the information. No children to sponsor us. How about a Canadian Friend sponsorship? My feeling is that the US will become a third world country yet in my life time. My partner’s father was born in Canada but he became a US citizen years ago.

R

rish888

Thank you for the information. No children to sponsor us. How about a Canadian Friend sponsorship? My feeling is that the US will become a third world country yet in my life time. My partner’s father was born in Canada but he became a US citizen years ago.
Unless your partner's father explicitly renounced his Canadian citizenship (Canadian citizenship is by birth in Canada), he is still Canadian. (Even if he renounced, as long as he was Canadian when your partner was born, your partner is Canadian.) This means that your partner is a Canadian citizen. Therefore your partner could sponsor you for permanent residency.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY