+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consequences of withdrawing my asylum case & chances of ever returning to Canada temporarily

muno1997

Mar 4, 2024
I came to Canada as an international student back in 2018. However, I couldn't continue my studies & filed for asylum in 2023. I am currently on a work permit waiting for my hearing. Unfortunately, my case isn't strong & my Lawyer is unreachable. I have decided to withdraw my case due to personal reasons. My sister is on a study permit & my fiance is on a post-graduate work permit in Canada now. Therefore, I have the following questions:

1. What is the process of withdrawing the case by myself?
2. Consequences of withdrawing asylum case v/s waiting for hearing to most probably be denied?
3. Will I ever be able to return on a Visitor visa at least to meet my sister, fiance & what can I present to prove I will leave?
4. If my fiance adds me to her Express Entry profile after we get married, will it jeopardize her PR?
5. Is there any possibility, she can bring me as a spouse while she is pursuing Bachelors? I heard Canada is only allowing accompanying spouse on Masters, PHD programs so, is that true?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I came to Canada as an international student back in 2018. However, I couldn't continue my studies & filed for asylum in 2023. I am currently on a work permit waiting for my hearing. Unfortunately, my case isn't strong & my Lawyer is unreachable. I have decided to withdraw my case due to personal reasons. My sister is on a study permit & my fiance is on a post-graduate work permit in Canada now. Therefore, I have the following questions:

1. What is the process of withdrawing the case by myself?
2. Consequences of withdrawing asylum case v/s waiting for hearing to most probably be denied?
3. Will I ever be able to return on a Visitor visa at least to meet my sister, fiance & what can I present to prove I will leave?
4. If my fiance adds me to her Express Entry profile after we get married, will it jeopardize her PR?
5. Is there any possibility, she can bring me as a spouse while she is pursuing Bachelors? I heard Canada is only allowing accompanying spouse on Masters, PHD programs so, is that true?
1. Fill this form and send to IRB https://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/forms/Pages/RpdSpr2401.aspx
2. You said you've already made your decision to withdraw...
3. If your claim was referred to IRB, withdraw means you need to leave Canada immediately. You will be inadmissible and require ARC to come to Canada
4. Most likely it will affect her application, since spouse is inadmissible
5. NO.

muno1997

Mar 4, 2024
@Simba112 thank you for replying.

My claim was referred to IRB so, my conditional removal order will become active once I withdraw. Would they not give me 15 to 30 days at least?

I would have to renew my passport as it expired already. Will they help me renew? Also, I have to book my plane ticket without any connection flight.
I can't ask my country's embassy to renew or provide emergency time travel document as they require my expired passport which CBSA would hold till departure.

Who do I report to in-person before leaving so they're aware of my exit?? Would I still require ARC to come to visit in Canada years later if I left voluntarily?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
@Simba112 thank you for replying.

My claim was referred to IRB so, my conditional removal order will become active once I withdraw. Would they not give me 15 to 30 days at least?

I would have to renew my passport as it expired already. Will they help me renew? Also, I have to book my plane ticket without any connection flight.
I can't ask my country's embassy to renew or provide emergency time travel document as they require my expired passport which CBSA would hold till departure.

Who do I report to in-person before leaving so they're aware of my exit?? Would I still require ARC to come to visit in Canada years later if I left voluntarily?
-15-30days maximum, yes
-No, they wont help you renew it. you will have to renew yourself or request one way travel documents. You can call CBSA and ask for expired passport to get one way travel document
-IF CBSA want to establish in person contact, they will let you know. Yes you will need ARC to come back to Canada