+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cons of Canadian Citizenship

Dank

Aug 15, 2016
I am an Indian citizen, residing in Canada on PR. What are the cons of getting canadian citizenship especially from income tax and property pov. I do have assets in india and file my ITR in india. Will the taxation rate change if I become canadian citizen? will i have to include my indian income in canadian ITR? currently its taxed as per indian ITR rules.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I am an Indian citizen, residing in Canada on PR. What are the cons of getting canadian citizenship especially from income tax and property pov. I do have assets in india and file my ITR in india. Will the taxation rate change if I become canadian citizen? will i have to include my indian income in canadian ITR? currently its taxed as per indian ITR rules.
You are already doing it as you wanted...
One is already NRI from Indian tax point of view when they stay more than 6months outside India in a financial year even if on a work permit or a PR..

One should include their Indian income in Canadian tax return if they are tax resident of Canada...

The rules are not related to PR or citizenship, rules are for which country you are considered tax resident...

Vice versa..Even after Canadian citizenship, if they are working and staying in India for more than 6months then they will file taxes in India including any Canadian income.

all depends on you what you are showing and what not.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78 and Dank

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Regarding property I think you can not hold agricultural land in India if you become Canadian citizen which means giving up Indian citizenship.

Dank

Aug 15, 2016
one con I found was if you undergo medical procedures in India your medical costs are higher because of foreign citizenship

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
one con I found was if you undergo medical procedures in India your medical costs are higher because of foreign citizenship
You show your passport when you go to hospital in India? Just use your driving license or other ID cards

Suryarao611

Sep 23, 2020
Regarding property I think you can not hold agricultural land in India if you become Canadian citizen which means giving up Indian citizenship.
if its inherited then Canadian Citizens of Indian descent can hold agri land, we cannot buy agri land once we become Canadian citizen.