+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CONJUGAL Sponsorship - I need your input

PJ13

Oct 20, 2018
HI everyone
I was wondering if I can get your advice and opinion about my current situation before I make a decision.
So my partnert and I met in 2015. He was married in kuwait. He was forced to get married by the authorities. When he went back to the Philippines he filed for an annulment in 2016. Fast forward. We are still waiting for the annulment case to be over (ugh trust me its taking so long). The ex partner is currently in Kuwait and is in default (annulment case)

He resigned from his work and just waiting in the Philippines to attend his hearings since oct 2018.
1. From 2016 I fly back to the Philippines to spend time with him for 2 months at a time. He met my family and vise versa
2. Due to covid I'm currently in the Philippines since April
3. We have a joint account together
4. We are residing in my house which we bought this year but its only under my name (due to pending annulment case)
5. I send money to both our account and his acoount monthly
6. We travel together

I spoke to a lawyer in canada and He said that if I can stay here for 1 yr with him but that is impossible because I support us both and I'm self employed and our savings is dwindling down. He advised me that I can apply for a conjugal sponsorship.

We are in a like marriage situation the only hindrance is the very slow annulment case pending and its really exhausting waiting for the next hearing (one hearing every 5 months)

So I'm thinking is it worth applying or will we just waste our money because it aint cheap using a lawyer or agency to help us file it

Thank you in advance for your input

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

HI everyone
I was wondering if I can get your advice and opinion about my current situation before I make a decision.
So my partnert and I met in 2015. He was married in kuwait. He was forced to get married by the authorities. When he went back to the Philippines he filed for an annulment in 2016. Fast forward. We are still waiting for the annulment case to be over (ugh trust me its taking so long). The ex partner is currently in Kuwait and is in default (annulment case)

He resigned from his work and just waiting in the Philippines to attend his hearings since oct 2018.
1. From 2016 I fly back to the Philippines to spend time with him for 2 months at a time. He met my family and vise versa
2. Due to covid I'm currently in the Philippines since April
3. We have a joint account together
4. We are residing in my house which we bought this year but its only under my name (due to pending annulment case)
5. I send money to both our account and his acoount monthly
6. We travel together

I spoke to a lawyer in canada and He said that if I can stay here for 1 yr with him but that is impossible because I support us both and I'm self employed and our savings is dwindling down. He advised me that I can apply for a conjugal sponsorship.

We are in a like marriage situation the only hindrance is the very slow annulment case pending and its really exhausting waiting for the next hearing (one hearing every 5 months)

So I'm thinking is it worth applying or will we just waste our money because it aint cheap using a lawyer or agency to help us file it

Thank you in advance for your input

1. Probably a waste of money. As you have shown that you can live in the Philippines, there are really no barriers for you to become common/law other than a financial one.

PJ13

Oct 20, 2018
Isn't the Barrier the ongoing long process of annulement since January 2017?
I do real estate and I can't stay here until April 2021
Anybody tried and got approved of this conjugal spomsorship?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Isn't the Barrier the ongoing long process of annulement since January 2017?
I do real estate and I can't stay here until April 2021
Anybody tried and got approved of this conjugal spomsorship?
Does your lawyer know that living together in the Philippines while he is still legally married can result to you being charged of concubinage? Maybe mention that so that your lawyer can research. I believe some people use that as the legal impediment preventing couples who cannot marry to become common-law.

I don't know how successful it will be but it may be worth a shot?

PJ13

Oct 20, 2018
That make sense I've read that on another threas where they used the law to explain why they can't live together. So probably I can use the philippine law along with the financial implication of living here in the Philippines for that long

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
That make sense I've read that on another threas where they used the law to explain why they can't live together. So probably I can use the philippine law along with the financial implication of living here in the Philippines for that long
The financial implication won't really be a good reason. Assuming you are both able bodied with you having a good command of the English language, there are a multitude of call center jobs in the Philippines that you will qualify for.

Focus on the immigration and legal barrier side of it. Do take note that there is also massive proof that people don't really get charged for concubinage because the legal spouse will need to spend to file a proceeding to do so. If you want a fool proof sponsorship, I would still suggest the common-law route. This is what my spouse did. She gave up a career here to live in the Philippines with me, she got a job in a call center (which is why I suggested it) and eventually rose to become a manager so financially we were okay (I worked too of course). Her sponsorship of me took less than 6 months.