+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Sponsorship- Am I eligible

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
Thank you all for the response. So I am working on getting married in USA once again but I have another concern. I feel not having our family's consent and also not having friends at the wedding since none of our friends are in the US might raise a red flag. How can I address that? Do you think there are chances of approval with a secret marriage.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you all for the response. So I am working on getting married in USA once again but I have another concern. I feel not having our family's consent and also not having friends at the wedding since none of our friends are in the US might raise a red flag. How can I address that? Do you think there are chances of approval with a secret marriage.
You'll just have to explain the situation. You are not the first couple - anywhere - to get married without parents' permission.

Yes, it will probably mean the file will get a bit of extra scrutiny. Do your best to respond on all other parts about the relationship and your history together.

If you do that, and write a straightforward and factual letter about why you could not get married in presence of family - with emphasis on the religious differences and legal restrictions in the other countries 0 it should hopefully work out. Also underline that any secrecy is only for safety due to apostasy and other laws.

Note: there are opportunities in the application package to refer to friends and family who know about the relationship. If you can get friends or some members of family to support - letters, photos, presence at wedding, whatever - that will help considerably.

(I'd say it is very common for those in cross/cultural or inter-religious marriages to do this, and it strengthens the file a lot. Any friends or family.)

And note - I don't think these files are looked down at in IRCC. Anyone trying to pull a fast one could find a lot easier ways that what hyou're suggesting)

Reactions: YVR123

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
Thank you all for your response. I managed to get my US wedding registered. Will be filing for spousal sponsorship soon. Hoping for a positive outcome. This wouldn't have been possible without you guy's advice.

Reactions: scylla and armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all for your response. I managed to get my US wedding registered. Will be filing for spousal sponsorship soon. Hoping for a positive outcome. This wouldn't have been possible without you guy's advice.
Great choice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Congratulations.

I do not understand how it works in each state, but make sure you submit whatever is used as the marriage certificate - what's issued after the wedding is properly registered and recorded with the government - and not just the piece of paper you get right after the wedding (I forget what that's called in Canada) and not the wedding license.

(The confusing part is that some states do this only at the county level and the names differ from state to state, I think in a couple states it may even be called wedding license. Anyway as long as you double-check it should be fine. If in doubt it's usually the document that takes the longest.).

And good luck, I think your submission will go much better if married and if you document and explain everything else as best you can.

Reactions: YVR123

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
I am not sure but process was quite easy. I had obtained the marriage license that was filled out and signed by us and the wedding officiant in Illinois. The last step was to submit it to the authorities and get a marriage certificate which I didn't( due to the reasons mentioned in the previous post). But I did it after you guys's suggested and they mailed me the certificate today which was fairly quick.( so I hope its the right thing). Thank you once again for your advice.
Hopefully all goes well from here *fingers crossed*

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am not sure but process was quite easy. I had obtained the marriage license that was filled out and signed by us and the wedding officiant in Illinois. The last step was to submit it to the authorities and get a marriage certificate which I didn't( due to the reasons mentioned in the previous post). But I did it after you guys's suggested and they mailed me the certificate today which was fairly quick.( so I hope its the right thing). Thank you once again for your advice.
Hopefully all goes well from here *fingers crossed*
That sounds probably right but you could check by comparing what you have to online pictures of Illinois marriage certificates. The Illinois website seems pretty decent so if you ordered a certified copy of the marriage certificate,should be okay. (And Illinois' description of marriage license, signed after ceremoney, and then submitted to the clerk sounds right)

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
Dear @armoured

I wanted to express my sincerest gratitude for the invaluable advice you provided. My husband and I got our marriage registered and had applied for the PR back in January 2023 which got completed this month. Your insight not only offered a clear direction but also saved me the consultancy fee I would have otherwise incurred. Your willingness to help is truly appreciated. Cannot thank you enough for your guidance—it has made such a huge impact.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Dear @armoured

I wanted to express my sincerest gratitude for the invaluable advice you provided. My husband and I got our marriage registered and had applied for the PR back in January 2023 which got completed this month. Your insight not only offered a clear direction but also saved me the consultancy fee I would have otherwise incurred. Your willingness to help is truly appreciated. Cannot thank you enough for your guidance—it has made such a huge impact.
Sincere congratulations to you both, and lots of others here who helped and help on a regular basis. Best of luck to you both.

Very helpful that you came back and let us know what happened, it helps to inform others in future.

Wildbeauty

Jun 15, 2023
Hello everybody im still waiting for some news from ircc. I’m in 9 months right now from recevied aor, in 23june I passed medical and July 20 sponsor sent some photos of us. What you think how long does it takes to copr pops out and what you think, will they refused my application? Thanks a lot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everybody im still waiting for some news from ircc. I’m in 9 months right now from recevied aor, in 23june I passed medical and July 20 sponsor sent some photos of us. What you think how long does it takes to copr pops out and what you think, will they refused my application? Thanks a lot
None of us can comment if the application will be approved or refused. Has eligibility been completed yet?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Eligibility not started
Background verification in progress

Without eligibility completed, it's hard to say when you can expect a decision or what that decision will be

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks on the answer. So aplication can be refused in 1 month and also on the 13 months?
Yes, absolutely. The application can be refused at any time before final approval.