+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Relationship, Do I have to say I'm Common-Law?

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
So my boyfriend and I have been in a conjugal relationship for over a year. We have only lived together 4 months though.

When asked what my Marital Status is.. Do I have to say Common-Law since we are conjugal? Or do I just put Single since we aren't technically Common-Law yet?

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
caylxnicole said:
So my boyfriend and I have been in a conjugal relationship for over a year. We have only lived together 4 months though.

When asked what my Marital Status is.. Do I have to say Common-Law since we are conjugal? Or do I just put Single since we aren't technically Common-Law yet?
Common-law and conjugal partner are separate to CIC. Common-law requires you to have been living together at least one year. If you are applying to sponsor him, you can sponsor spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner. Those are all called the "family class".

If you are applying for family class sponsorship, this link will be helpful to you:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
O_guy said:
Common-law and conjugal partner are separate to CIC. Common-law requires you to have been living together at least one year. If you are applying to sponsor him, you can sponsor spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner. Those are all called the "family class".

If you are applying for family class sponsorship, this link will be helpful to you:
That didn't help at all. I didn't ask for a link.
Would conjugal be considered common-law or single?

hashbash

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
caylxnicole said:
Would conjugal be considered common-law or single?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

this might help

hashbash

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
caylxnicole said:

You should apply single since you don't complete the 1 year period as per CIC. It'd be better you put single in the application and explain why you can't be with him in the covering letter :)

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
caylxnicole said:
That is not nice thing to say. Yes, I answered your question. You said, "When asked what my Marital Status is.. Do I have to say Common-Law since we are conjugal" and I clearly told you common-law and conjugal partner are separate, therefore if you are conjugal, you cannot say you are common-law. The link I gave you showed that common-law and conjugal are separate.