+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal perner what do you think?

jcjean8312

Jun 6, 2012
Hello everyone I would be very thankfully if someone has experience this and give me some advice about my chances to success in our application as a conjugal partners.

There is my history ( I will try to explain the best that I can with my English): I'm from Colombia and my partner is Canadian ( same sex relation) we met online, in 2008 I applied for a tourist visa to go to Canada and was denied.

after that we went to meet in Cuba and there is when our relation starter in a way that I consider marriage like.
have been coming to Colombia several times around 3 a year since 2009 we back to Cuba once and we travel domestic in Colombia 4 times 2 of them with my family too.

relationship is recognized by whole family almost every time he came we make a party to celebrate someone B-day including his once.
we have photos and records of all that sent with the application.

I have no job right now and my partner supports me financially I have most of the Western union recipes already sent with the application.

We applied Oct-November last year, he got accepted as sponsor and embassy in Bogota already send me a letter with stickers and instructions to pay Background check I already did and send that recipe to Bogota in April, which was the procedure here.

In Colombia same sex marriage is not legal, and is a very discriminating society. I have not job and unemployment rates are very high and salaries very low. I'm professional university for 5 years, and right now doing curses that my partner pay. I live with my parents still so i have no home in that we could live. and if you get a job most likely you have to hide your sexual preferences.

Thanks for the time to read this. I´m very worried after reading that the conjugal class is a not very successfully way.

Sorry for my English, hope is clear. ;)

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
jcjean8312 said:
I´m very worried after reading that the conjugal class is a not very successfully way.
I don't have the necessary information to speculate about the rest of your post, but perhaps someone else does.

I think part of the reason the conjugal class is a more difficult way to apply is because a lot of applicants don't understand the constraints surrounding the application process. You can't apply as conjugal partners if you could get married. I've read a decent number of posts from people who intend to apply as conjugal partners, but have the ability to marry one another. Before I understood the process, my (now) husband and I asked CIC about applying as conjugal partners and we were told in no uncertain terms that our application would be rejected. So we got married. You're in a different situation though.

jcjean8312

Jun 6, 2012
As I said im my post, in Colombia Same sex marriage is not legal. I applied for a temporary one to go to Canada before and was rejected.
So i guess thats a barrier to get married.

Thanks for your answer.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
for conjugal u need to show u cannot get married AND u cannot b in common-law (living together in marriage-like relationshipnfor at least one year); now the marriage part is clear: cannot b done in ur country and u got denied tourist visa to b done in Canada, even if u apply for tourist visa again, it will probably have the same outcome); even if u didn't explain that in the application it is pretty obvious

but now the common-law part u need to ask ur self if it was possible, if u tried and didn't succeed (visa, work wise) did u show that u tried? u cannot go to Canada but could ur partner come to ur country? i suppose with no place to stay of ur own, u not working, maybe difficult for him to find a job that too is hard to do; and i guess visit visas r for a few months at a time; if u explained it than it's good, if u didn't then maybe the agent would understand anyways

i won't b too worried; conjugal is the hardest to prove and succeed but i think it's there for couples like u :) good luck!!

jcjean8312

Jun 6, 2012
Thank you a lot "missmini" for your answer and support waiting for the embassy to call me for a interview or ask for my passport in the best case.

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
Out of all the conjugal partner situations I've read, this one seems like it could have valid chance. Good luck to you, jcjean8312.. I hope you hear something soon!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
oreidapennsyltucky said:
I don't have the necessary information to speculate about the rest of your post, but perhaps someone else does.

I think part of the reason the conjugal class is a more difficult way to apply is because a lot of applicants don't understand the constraints surrounding the application process. You can't apply as conjugal partners if you could get married. I've read a decent number of posts from people who intend to apply as conjugal partners, but have the ability to marry one another. Before I understood the process, my (now) husband and I asked CIC about applying as conjugal partners and we were told in no uncertain terms that our application would be rejected. So we got married. You're in a different situation though.

The deal with conjugal partners is that you must prove that your relationship is ALREADY marriage-like; not just dating, engaged, planning to marry someday, etc. The Canadian Supreme Court upheld the right for couples not to have to marry in order to immigrate, but the IO will still expect you to. The CP category was created to help couples who couldn't marry or establish common-law co-habitation (gay couples, people who can't legally divorce former partners in their own country, couples who can't stay in one another's country for one year, etc) but they can't EXCLUDE other types of couples from applying in this category either. So, often the outcome of this type of app is at the discretion of the officer reviewing the case.

I think the OP has a good chance of being approved in the conjugal category if he was able to demonstrate in the application that the relationship is already marriage-like to the extent that they are able. That is what we did when I applied and was approved in the conjugal category, and we are US/CAN visa exempt hetero couple with no barriers to marriage.

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
AllisonVSC said:
The deal with conjugal partners is that you must prove that your relationship is ALREADY marriage-like; not just dating, engaged, planning to marry someday, etc. The Canadian Supreme Court upheld the right for couples not to have to marry in order to immigrate, but the IO will still expect you to. The CP category was created to help couples who couldn't marry or establish common-law co-habitation (gay couples, people who can't legally divorce former partners in their own country, couples who can't stay in one another's country for one year, etc) but they can't EXCLUDE other types of couples from applying in this category either. So, often the outcome of this type of app is at the discretion of the officer reviewing the case.

I think the OP has a good chance of being approved in the conjugal category if he was able to demonstrate in the application that the relationship is already marriage-like to the extent that they are able. That is what we did when I applied and was approved in the conjugal category, and we are US/CAN visa exempt hetero couple with no barriers to marriage.
That's really interesting. In our case, my partner and I are also a US/CAN visa exempt, hetero couple with no barriers to marriage. Our situation was a bit odd because my husband and I had lived together and shared finances in Canada while I had a temporary work visa. We were well on our way to common law, but I moved back to the states because I couldn't find a job in my field and my student loans were about to kick in. I could have continued to live in Canada, but it would have been a huge financial burden.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you were approved because I think marriage is a really personal choice and people shouldn't have to get married to prove their relationship is valid. Just my opinion...

jcjean8312

Jun 6, 2012
Now another concern that I miss to describe on my first post, Reading another thread I find that age difference is maybe problem for our application, The VO maybe will not look with good ayes that my partner that is sponsoring me is 50 and I'm 29? now I'm more worried. thanks for the replies.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
The age difference will need to be addressed. Think of it from the VO's point of view--it's easy to see what the older Canadian gets out of this, but what are you getting out of this relationship? Just picking an older guy for an easy target to sponsor you? However, if your proofs are good and you address the age difference, it's not a problem.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
I think you have a really good chance of being accepted, you should go for it! Make sure your application is done well with a lot of proof of relationship.

BC_guy

Star Member
Aug 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
Add. Docs July 2012
File Transfer...
Jan 2012
Med's Request
Remed via email Dec 2012
Med's Done....
Remed Dec 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2013
LANDED..........
Mar 2013
You have a good chance. But yes you must talk about the age difference in your application. Explain why this is not a problem with your relationship. Also give at least 6 letters of support from other people, especially family members. These letters should be from both your family & friends, and your partners family & friends.

Also explain why your relationship is good, despite the age difference. What things you have in common. What things you do together, such as going to the beach, sports, dining out, whatever.

Oh, your English is quite good! Best of luck.