28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone

Me and my canadian boyfriend, both 24, have been together for 4 years. However we've never met in person due to religious beliefs in my family. I'm from Tunisia and come from a traditional muslim family where we're not allowed to marry someone from a different religion and culture. And if I'm correct, my country doesn't allow it either. Thing is I'm an atheist and I'm afraid of punishment by death if I tell them the truth or try to marry him somehow. We tried looking into other ways, like me studying there but I can never afford it, nor am I eligible for any other kind of visa, except visiting him which will probably get me killed.

Obviously him moving here is out of the question too. The economy is bad and we want to live together free how we want. Which is considered breaking the law here if we lived together without getting married. Do you think we're eligible for conjugal partner?

We are dying to be together. We've literally talked for hours almost everyday for nearly 5 years now.
We're best friends, soulmates, born the same day, month and year which makes us believe we're made for each other. And now we're desperate. Any tips or opinions would be truly appreciated!

Thank you.
No - you are not eligible for conjugal partner sponsorship. To be regarded as a conjugal couple, you must have met in person and must have a 'marriage like' relationship (meaning that you've spent considerable time together in person and ideally have shared bank accounts or other assets). Additionally, there must be immigration barriers preventing you from getting married or living together to become common law.

Until you meet in person, there are really no options available for him to sponsor you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh - and it is in fact legal for the two of you to get married in Tunisia. There used to be a ban on marriages between different faiths - however that ban was lifted either last year or in 2016. So nothing stopping him from traveling to Tunisia to get married there and then sponsoring you for PR.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
except visiting him which will probably get me killed.
If you are scared to even visit Canada due to possible repercussions, then how on earth would you even consider being sponsored for PR and living with him in Canada permanently?

If you can get a visitor visa, you can come to Canada, get married, and apply for PR inland so you would never need to leave. Of course getting married during the first time meeting would be a red flag in the application, but is possible to overcome.

Agreed with above that you have zero chance at conjugal since you've never met in person.

Last edited:

bonbon7

Mar 15, 2018
If you can get a visitor visa, you can come to Canada, get married, and apply for PR inland so you would never need to leave. Of course getting married during the first time meeting would be a red flag in the application, but is possible to overcome.
Would him visiting first, then me visiting him to get married remove the red flag? And could you please tell me more about PR inland and how long it usually takes to process? Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Would him visiting first, then me visiting him to get married remove the red flag? And could you please tell me more about PR inland and how long it usually takes to process? Thank you.
Yes essentially the more times you meet and spend time together in person before getting married, the better.

If you are in Canada with visitor status, after getting married you can submit an INLAND PR app along with an Open Work Permit app. The entire PR app takes around 1 year to process, but the Open Work Permit usually arrives in 3-4 months so you can stay in Canada and work during the processing time.

Of course all this is only possible if you can get a TRV approved to visit Canada in the first place.

bonbon7

Mar 15, 2018
Yes essentially the more times you meet and spend time together in person before getting married, the better.

If you are in Canada with visitor status, after getting married you can submit an INLAND PR app along with an Open Work Permit app. The entire PR app takes around 1 year to process, but the Open Work Permit usually arrives in 3-4 months so you can stay in Canada and work during the processing time.

Of course all this is only possible if you can get a TRV approved to visit Canada in the first place.
Thank you very much!