+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CONJUGAL PARTNER SPONSORSHIP

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hi everyone!!

I have different questions about the conjugal partner sponsorship... But I should maybe first see if my conjugal partner and I would be elegible to apply under this specific category.

He is from Nicaragua, I am from Canada. We now have 1 year and a half of relationship

As I understand, in order to be elegible under the conjugal partner sponsorship category, you need to prove why you couldn't marry.

As for us, we do not mary (or at least not yet), because my conjugal partner is still under divorcing procedure and the divorce as not been completed yet (but the process has been started and a case as been open with a lawyer and everything). Could this be a valuable reason to justify the fact we don't get marry? Could we give a letter from the lawyer that works on the case as a proove of 'legal separation' ? Or this situation could be seen strange from immigration agent??

We really want to start the process soon as we know it takes time. If we are elegible that way, could we send afterward proove of marriage if through the sponsorship approval we get marry?

Thanks for the answer!

Maina4576

Star Member
Jan 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
App. Filed.......
19-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Nothing requested
AOR Received.
11-01-2017 / 19-01-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront 3-12-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Present it on day of appointment
LANDED..........
6-6-2017
Hi is your partner seperated by law and has a signed contract to confirm this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
krouss said:
He is from Nicaragua, I am from Canada. We now have 1 year and a half of relationship

As I understand, in order to be elegible under the conjugal partner sponsorship category, you need to prove why you couldn't marry.

As for us, we do not mary (or at least not yet), because my conjugal partner is still under divorcing procedure and the divorce as not been completed yet (but the process has been started and a case as been open with a lawyer and everything). Could this be a valuable reason to justify the fact we don't get marry? Could we give a letter from the lawyer that works on the case as a proove of 'legal separation' ? Or this situation could be seen strange from immigration agent??
Hi

To qualify for conjugal, there needs to be legal/immigration barriers to prevent you from either marrying OR becoming common-law. You would need to prove that there is no way for you to spend a year in Nicaragua to become common-law (note that employment/financial reasons are not valid) and that he cannot come to Canada.

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you for this clarification, helps a lot!

I bet the best would be to wait for the divorce and get marry...

But could they judge as negative that situation? That one of getting divorce and really shortly after getting married?

Best,

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
krouss said:

But could they judge as negative that situation? That one of getting divorce and really shortly after getting married?

Best,
No, as long as you have proof it's a genuine relationship.

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Oh, and if it is not possible to spend more than 3 months in a-row in Nicaragua without a visa, could this be a good reason to justify that we couldnt lived together a complete year?

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
krouss said:

Best,
I was legally divorced in January 2016, My current husband in March 2016 and we married in April 2016. If you met and married in a week that may raise a flag! You have the relationship background so you should be fine. Just make sure you have proof, call logs, Skype, messages, emails etc showing that you were in fact a couple for that 1 1/2 that there were divorce proceeding. I had typed an explanation as to why everything was kept low key on social media though as we were both involved with divorces at the time.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
krouss said:
Oh, and if it is not possible to spend more than 3 months in a-row in Nicaragua without a visa, could this be a good reason to justify that we couldnt lived together a complete year?
You would have to send proof of that and also your partner would have to try and be refused for a travel visa to come to Canada. If a visa is required, if one isn't required than I am pretty sure that there are no barriers for her to join you in Canada. To my understating, Conjugal relationships are more difficult to get approved

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
As others have mentioned, I think Conjugal will not apply in your case. Here are the specifics of what you need to be considered common-law and conjugal:

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/BoaCom/references/LegJur/Documents/SpoPar05_e.pdf