+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner sponsorship, urgent advice needed!!

ssnna89

Apr 27, 2017
Hello everyone, here is my situation:

I originally went to Canada on a study permit however due to financial reasons i was unable to finish school, i lost my status in 2014 and overstayed by about a year as my passport had expired and i could not renew it without status and vice versa (was basically stuck). I was eventually able to get a special extension and return to Pakistan.

I met my bf during the time I was in Canada and he is a citizen. We are currently in a long distance relationship and working towards applying for him to sponsor me under the conjugal partner sponsorship. My concerns are as follows:

1) Would the reasons that we have for not being able to reside together or get married qualify: the situation in Pakistan is not good currently and it would be safety issue for him to come here as there are constant strikes, blasts, incidences of violence (I can include news articles etc in my application where internationals and locals both have been targeted), I cannot go there as it will be extremely hard to get a visa esp with my overstay, furthermore he would surely get fired if he came here even with the safety risk (would that count)

2) what sort of income does he need, is there a minimum cutoff? he can provide letter from employer but would anything else be needed or does it have to be above a certain cutoff as it will be just enough.

3) we do not have joint accounts or property, but he did stay with me for 6 months and i can show that as our mailing addresses were the same, furthermore we did help each other out financially e.g he paid my application fees for a renewal and there have been exchanges of email money transfers etc which i can show proof of,

my parents will not let me leave the country by myself to meet at a neutral location and there is a lot of pressure to get married as well hence we want to get this done as soon as possible. it wont be a problem to prove that our relationship is genuine as i have all the requirements fulfilled and can show we have been together in a binding relationship for more than two years.

Please advice if applying under the Conjugal partner category is what we should do or if there is anything else to keep in mind. I want to get this done within a week or two and any answers will be extremely helpful. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately I don't see a conjugal application succeeding. There's really nothing stopping you from getting married. Lots of people are still traveling to Pakistan - there's nothing stopping him from doing so to get married and the reasons you've stated aren't grounds for a conjugal case. If he doesn't feel comfortable traveling to Pakistan, you could both travel to and get married in a third country (the parent argument won't told water given you're an adult and already spent all of that time in Canada on your own).

There are no minimum income requirements to sponsor a spouse.

ssnna89

Apr 27, 2017
What do you think my chances are of getting a study permit?
Also would you recommend spousal sponsorship I this case?
In addition to not being able to comfortable in coming here, financial reasons are a big factor. He would have to leave his job and wouldn't have an income then (plus a round trip would be expensive and we could use that money for when we start a life in Canada). I don't have an income currently and if I went on a trv (which wouldn't get approved probably) I still wouldn't be able to work.
Please advice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think a study permit will be feasible for you given you didn't finish your previous studies in Canada and then overstayed. I don't think CIC will see you as a genuine student. Besides, to have any chance of approval, you would need to show a bank balance of around $25K to demonstrate that you can pay for your tuition and living expenses. Can you do this? Similarly, I think you'll struggle getting a TRV approved - especially if you lack ties to your home country (like a job, property) and also due to the overstay.

Your boyfriend really needs to travel to you and get married.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ssnna89 said:
What do you think my chances are of getting a study permit?
Also would you recommend spousal sponsorship I this case?
In addition to not being able to comfortable in coming here, financial reasons are a big factor. He would have to leave his job and wouldn't have an income then (plus a round trip would be expensive and we could use that money for when we start a life in Canada). I don't have an income currently and if I went on a trv (which wouldn't get approved probably) I still wouldn't be able to work.
Please advice
Note that in assessing conjugal apps IRCC will be looking for legal and immigration barriers to becoming common-law or getting married. Financial reasons are not usually considered.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
ssnna89 said:
Please advice
Yeah, but that's not a reason for filing a conjugal app. He can go to Pakistan to marry you, return to Canada, and sponsor you, all without leaving his job. So that doesn't constitute any kind of an immigration barrier.

ztariq

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
ssnna89 said:
Hello everyone, here is my situation:

I originally went to Canada on a study permit however due to financial reasons i was unable to finish school, i lost my status in 2014 and overstayed by about a year as my passport had expired and i could not renew it without status and vice versa (was basically stuck). I was eventually able to get a special extension and return to Pakistan.

I met my bf during the time I was in Canada and he is a citizen. We are currently in a long distance relationship and working towards applying for him to sponsor me under the conjugal partner sponsorship. My concerns are as follows:

1) Would the reasons that we have for not being able to reside together or get married qualify: the situation in Pakistan is not good currently and it would be safety issue for him to come here as there are constant strikes, blasts, incidences of violence (I can include news articles etc in my application where internationals and locals both have been targeted), I cannot go there as it will be extremely hard to get a visa esp with my overstay, furthermore he would surely get fired if he came here even with the safety risk (would that count)

2) what sort of income does he need, is there a minimum cutoff? he can provide letter from employer but would anything else be needed or does it have to be above a certain cutoff as it will be just enough.

3) we do not have joint accounts or property, but he did stay with me for 6 months and i can show that as our mailing addresses were the same, furthermore we did help each other out financially e.g he paid my application fees for a renewal and there have been exchanges of email money transfers etc which i can show proof of,

my parents will not let me leave the country by myself to meet at a neutral location and there is a lot of pressure to get married as well hence we want to get this done as soon as possible. it wont be a problem to prove that our relationship is genuine as i have all the requirements fulfilled and can show we have been together in a binding relationship for more than two years.

Please advice if applying under the Conjugal partner category is what we should do or if there is anything else to keep in mind. I want to get this done within a week or two and any answers will be extremely helpful. Thank you
Hey,

I am sorry to hear about your tricky situation and really hope you guys work something out together.
However, I don't agree on your point what you've mentioned about Pakistan's current situation (again, I am not sure which province or city you exactly live) We have family living in Pakistan and we and friends from Canada and other international countries have traveled to Pakistan without any scare or any problem. I know there have been incidents but those things happen everywhere. Google India, Srilanka, Bangladesh, even Canada where someone would kill someone just during a road rage. As per now, I would say Pakistan is a safe place to visit, specially cities like Lahore, Islamabad, Faisalabad, Multan and even Karachi. No problems at all.
I would say if you boyfriend really likes you and cares for you, you guys should get married. Ask him to come down to Pakistan for a week or 2, you guys perform your wedding ceremony there, take pictures and then he goes back and prepares your case.
If you'll apply as a conjugal partner your application will be weak.
Again I'm really sorry and I'm not trying to argue to your point but at this time I could easily say that he should come to Pakistan and you guys should get married.
Good Luck and God Bless you!