+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship-Opposite Sex(I need Advice)

glynfranz

Feb 24, 2012
Good day to you!
I'm a Filipino, a PR holder working here in Toronto. I landed last June 2011 under FSW category. My husband, as accompanying dependent landed one month after. unfortunately in August 2011, we separated, and eventually filed for divorce and granted with Certificate of Divorce in September of this year.

I'm writing to you to consult about my situation. I want to sponsor my boyfriend for almost one year now. He was actually my ex-boyfriend (in 2004) before i got married in 2005. I can show some proofs if required. We got back to each other again in January 2012 (that was 5 months after I separated from my husband). I have got monthly phone bills showing our frequent communication, also emails and chats. In October of this year, I went to Philippines and spent 40 days with him and with our respective families, and headed back here in Toronto last December 1. We have gathered a lot of photos and got our joint bank account.

I understand that there is no problem for me sponsoring him because I`m already divorce. My problem is, he was married in Philippines in 2009, spent only six months with his wife and they separated.

With the absence of Divorce in our country and the chaos of the procedures, neither of them was not able to file for ANNULMENT of their marriage (which takes years to be granted and costs a lot of money). A petition called LEGAL SEPARATION was also never applied because they do not have any asset nor children to compromise.

Because of this, I am planning to apply for Conjugal Partner Sponsorship, on the grounds that we can never be married anywhere in the world because his civil status will always show once requested by Philippine embassies from our National Statistics Office.

Another issue that I should be telling you is: His estranged wife moved to Alberta, Canada on a Nanny Visa in June 2012. Given the financial crisis, his wife also was not able to file for the annulment, and landed here in Canada having my boyfriend declared as still her husband in her immigration papers since she started her caregiver visa application right after they got married almost 4 years ago. She landed here without making any changes in her civil status to avoid complications in the process of her visa.

Presently, I have been trying to communicate with his wife but due to her financial and emotional instability in Alberta as her new place, we find it impossible for her to cooperate with the legal proceedings of their separation.

My questions:
1. How important is it to show to CIC that the person I am sponsoring is currently separated from his spouse?

2. If we really need to show a document stating his real status , will the initial stage of application for annulment will do?

I am in deep despair fighting with loneliness in this long distance relationship. I really would love to bring him here as soon as possible. Your advice to my situation is what i need. I believe I can prove that we have a genuine relationship, but please advice me what else to do if i really need to prove that he has been separated with no longer waiting for years of annulment procedures. Thank you very much and I hope you can advice.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
I think you have a good chance, you might as well collect all the evidence you need to present a strong case and get your application in as soon as possible. They will need strong proof that he is not still together with his ex. Just put together what you can, and if the visa officer in Manila needs a specific kind of proof they will request it when the time comes.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Steph C said:
I think you have a good chance, you might as well collect all the evidence you need to present a strong case and get your application in as soon as possible. They will need strong proof that he is not still together with his ex. Just put together what you can, and if the visa officer in Manila needs a specific kind of proof they will request it when the time comes.
IMHO I don't think she has a good chance for conjugal. There are no barriers stopping her from returning to the Philippines and living together for a year until they are common/law.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
PMM said:
Hi

IMHO I don't think she has a good chance for conjugal. There are no barriers stopping her from returning to the Philippines and living together for a year until they are common/law.
Well there would be the obvious economic reasons for that. Our case is the same as theirs in the fact that my Filipino partner can't marry. I'm not Filipina so firstly I can't just get a visa to go and live there for a year. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem for her. But the biggest issue is I can do absolutely nothing there work wise. I'm sure neither can she.. there's scarce work there especially for the overqualified. I have seen a couple of people with similar cases to this get their visas and I think they have a fine chance.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Oh and there's also a legal barrier if you wanted to get technical.. they could be charged with Bigamy or Concubinage.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Steph C said:
Well there would be the obvious economic reasons for that. Our case is the same as theirs in the fact that my Filipino partner can't marry. I'm not Filipina so firstly I can't just get a visa to go and live there for a year. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem for her. But the biggest issue is I can do absolutely nothing there work wise. I'm sure neither can she.. there's scarce work there especially for the overqualified. I have seen a couple of people with similar cases to this get their visas and I think they have a fine chance.
Not wanting to give up a job isn't a barrier. You need to stick to cohabitation is illegal.

Frankly, the whole husband left right away and I want to bring a new bf sounds very suspicious.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
amikety said:
Not wanting to give up a job isn't a barrier. You need to stick to cohabitation is illegal.

Frankly, the whole husband left right away and I want to bring a new bf sounds very suspicious.
All judgement aside of their personal situation, I really think not being able to give up a job is a barrier. It's not simply an 'I don't feel like it' thing. When there is one person working to support both parties it's really more than essential. I've seen this argument become more and more popular around this forum and it's lucky I never saw it when we submitted our application. I would like to be pointed to some proof that this is really the case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Steph C said:
Well there would be the obvious economic reasons for that.
As others have said, economic reasons and not wanting to give up a job are not seen by CIC as barriers that qualify you for conjugal.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
Steph C said:
All judgement aside of their personal situation, I really think not being able to give up a job is a barrier. It's not simply an 'I don't feel like it' thing. When there is one person working to support both parties it's really more than essential. I've seen this argument become more and more popular around this forum and it's lucky I never saw it when we submitted our application. I would like to be pointed to some proof that this is really the case.
It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what CIC thinks. CIC thinks the conjugal class is for people who CAN'T get married and CAN'T physically be common law for various reasons (such as bigamy). That's why there are the other classes to apply. I totally understand that it's not easy to give up a job, but conjugal is the "last resort" class, and is the hardest to get approved, and rightfully so.

I agree with whoever said focus on the bigamy side of things. That's probably the best bet.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
scylla said:
As others have said, economic reasons and not wanting to give up a job are not seen by CIC as barriers that qualify you for conjugal.
Yes, others have said that quite frequently recently.. Has anyone on this forum been denied on that fact I wonder?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Steph C said:
CIC's website itself says financials aren't a barrier.

My "judgment" is based on reading CanLii cases. I'm sorry you don't like it, but quick divorce after PR and re-marriage to a previous partner is a big red flag. Not my judgment, but that of a court. They will be looked extra close because of this. The OP might want to be aware.

glynfranz

Feb 24, 2012
I don't have anything to start over in the Philippines, I've given up everything to get here and get a good job. And also, I want to complete the required days that I have to stay here in Canada in order to apply for citizenship. I'm hooked to stay here as required. I think CIC will do their best of investigation in order to come up the truth and honesty of my case. I trust my honesty and i think it matters.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Divorce right after landing and sponsoring this soon would definitely be a red flag no matter how genuine your relationship is. His application through his wife would also complicate your case. You need to gather very solid, quality of evidence. What matters is not what you think, it is what they think. And you have to convince them with documented evidence. Good luck.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
So many red flags in this case, and honestly I doubt your gonna be approved under conjugal.

Londonsam

Dec 11, 2012
hi bro,
I am going to apply for study in canada from Pakistan.
But i have no idea that which course i should apply for on which i can get work permit.
I have done B.com and Post graduate diplome from UK + My i have Toeic who score is equilant to 7.5 of ielts.

If i enrolled for Post Graduate certificate then am i eligible to apply for PGWP ?

Please can u suggest me any cheaper college, as the fees is around 12000 - 13000 $ for PGS of almost all colleges.

Your reply in this regard would be highly appreciated .
Thanks in advance
Malik