+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner: Prove Immigration Barrier

johnstco

Mar 8, 2012
I am an American and my boyfriend will soon be a permanent resident in Quebec. I'm considering my options for spending time with him in Canada (I can stay 6 mo on a visitor's visa).

We are not eligible for as a common-law partnership because we have not lived together for a year, have no shared property, etc (he lived in France and I in the U.S.) However, it says that in order to apply as a conjugal partner, we must prove an "immigration barrier".

What on earth is required in order to prove an immigration barrier?

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

johnstco said:
I am an American and my boyfriend will soon be a permanent resident in Quebec. I'm considering my options for spending time with him in Canada (I can stay 6 mo on a visitor's visa).

We are not eligible for as a common-law partnership because we have not lived together for a year, have no shared property, etc (he lived in France and I in the U.S.) However, it says that in order to apply as a conjugal partner, we must prove an "immigration barrier".

What on earth is required in order to prove an immigration barrier?

Thank you
You don't have one. There is nothing to stop you living with him as a visitor in Canada, or him living with you in the US as a visitor to meet the 1 year for C/law.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
PMM is right, you are allowed to visit France/Canada for 6 months, then can apply to extend your stay as a visitor to meet the requirements of common law status. Or you could visit him for 6 months, then he could visit you for 6 months.
Since you can visit each others countries there is no immigration barrier. Plus there is nothing stopping you from getting married.
Giving up a job or schooling is not a good enough reason to not live together in each others countries.

You have 2 choices, live together for a year and apply as common law, or get married and apply as spousess.

Good luck!