+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner or Spouse?

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi guys, thanks for the orientation you could provide me:
I am PR and want to sponsor my fianceé, we didn´t get married but we plan to do it. I am living in Canada and she is in my native country. We are in a relationship since 2014 but since I have been working in Canada we have been together 7 months in a row in 2014-2015, 8 months in a row in 2018 and 20 days per year other years.

Can I sponsor her as Common-Law relationship ? Can I sponsor her as Conyugal Partner? or is it better to get married and immediately after that sponsor her as a Spouse? we are planning to get married still in July so maybe it is faster if I can use Conyugal or Common-Law?

Please let me know your advice about the best path. Ask me any question if you need. Thanks a lot for your help!

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Hi guys, thanks for the orientation you could provide me:
I am PR and want to sponsor my fianceé, we didn´t get married but we plan to do it. I am living in Canada and she is in my native country. We are in a relationship since 2014 but since I have been working in Canada we have been together 7 months in a row in 2014-2015, 8 months in a row in 2018 and 20 days per year other years.

Can I sponsor her as Common-Law relationship ? Can I sponsor her as Conyugal Partner? or is it better to get married and immediately after that sponsor her as a Spouse? we are planning to get married still in July so maybe it is faster if I can use Conyugal or Common-Law?

Please let me know your advice about the best path. Ask me any question if you need. Thanks a lot for your help!
You’ve no grounds for conjugal as you have nothing stopping you from marrying. You also don’t have grounds for common-law as it requires 12 months of continuous co-habitation.

Getting married and applying via the spousal route is your only option.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi, thanks JoshC for your reply. Once I get married in my native country, I have to validate this marriage in Canada before applying for being a Sponsor or before my wife applies to the PR?? How I do that?
Thanks a lot!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, thanks JoshC for your reply. Once I get married in my native country, I have to validate this marriage in Canada before applying for being a Sponsor or before my wife applies to the PR?? How I do that?
Thanks a lot!
You don't need to validate your marriage in Canada. As long as it is legally recognized in your country and doesn't violate Canadian marriage law, it will be recognized.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks canuck_in_uk for your response ! I found this in the immigration page of Canada under the section
"Sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner"

" 2. if performed outside of Canada, the marriage must be legally recognized in the country where it took place and in Canada.

My questions are then:

- The marriage is automatically recognized in Canada?

- Could I apply for citizenship at the same time I am applying to be a Sponsor and my wife applying for PR in Canada?

Thanks for your reply!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks canuck_in_uk for your response ! I found this in the immigration page of Canada under the section
"Sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner"

" 2. if performed outside of Canada, the marriage must be legally recognized in the country where it took place and in Canada.

My questions are then:

- The marriage is automatically recognized in Canada?

- Could I apply for citizenship at the same time I am applying to be a Sponsor and my wife applying for PR in Canada?

Thanks for your reply!
As I said, provided it doesn't violate Canadian marriage law and is recognized in the country where it happened.

A citizenship app would be entirely separate and have nothing to do with the sponsorship app.