+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal or TRV for partner?

dny0821

Star Member
Mar 2, 2017
Hi! I'm in a same-sex relationship with my girlfriend for more than 4 years now. I will be landing as a PR this month and we are already thinking of means for us to be together in Canada. I have been reading some posts regarding conjugal sponsorship here but I haven't found a post with a successful application. My partner and I have the following and are in this situation:

- Our relationship is discreet. We met as co-workers and have been together since then. There were a lot of rumors about our relationship but neither of us acknowledged it. We have never outed our relationship to our parents as well. We visit each other's cities in the Philippines and get to stay in each other's houses from time to time but we only tell others that we are "best friends". There are only two people who we have freely outed our relationship, our roommates when we were still working abroad.

- We have pictures and conversation since the beginning of our relationship and even when we were still in the dating stage.

- We have traveled together outside of the country but we always bring some of our family members just to avoid any suspicion about our relationship although we have some travels where we were alone. (Visited Places: Singapore, Hongkong, Macau, Thailand, some places in the Philippines)

- I'm a Catholic and she is from another Christian sector. Both of our religion does not allow a same-sex relationship. For her, if her church finds out of our relationship, she will be removed from the religion and will shame her family as well.

- We have a joint account and we purchased a condo unit under our names. (No contract yet as we are still paying the downpayment monthly for 5 years but we have a notarized memorandum of agreement.)

Based on what we have, do we stand a chance if I will sponsor her as a conjugal partner? More than getting married in Canada, we just actually wanted to live freely without even thinking about what our family and friends in the Philippines would say. If our chance for conjugal partnership is not okay, then we are planning for her to get a tourist visa to get married in Canada instead. (My partner has a travel agency and apartment in the Philippines. Funds won't be a problem. Travel history was mentioned above, she also visited Japan.)

The post is quite long but I hope you guys can help us.. Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So to confirm, you have never actually lived together for 12 months.

You must first show IRCC that marriage is not possible. So you would need to show a denied TRV to Canada. If she can get a TRV approved, then she would need to come to Canada and you can marry here.

Else if TRV is denied, then you would have a good chance at conjugal app.

dny0821

Star Member
Mar 2, 2017
So to confirm, you have never actually lived together for 12 months.

You must first show IRCC that marriage is not possible. So you would need to show a denied TRV to Canada. If she can get a TRV approved, then she would need to come to Canada and you can marry here.

Else if TRV is denied, then you would have a good chance at conjugal app.

No we never lived together for 12 months... Unless if we can count our time when we were together in the hospital accommodation in KSA, we were living in the same flat. But there are 4 people in one room, she is the fifth person because she was unofficially listed there and we just stay together in my bed... But everything was free so we don't have bills or rent to show...

I guess TRV is really the best option... Thank you! :)

For TRV though, when can I invite her? Do I need to show a certain monthly income for her to get approved? Should I declare her as my girlfriend or just a friend...?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
No we never lived together for 12 months... Unless if we can count our time when we were together in the hospital accommodation in KSA, we were living in the same flat. But there are 4 people in one room, she is the fifth person because she was unofficially listed there and we just stay together in my bed... But everything was free so we don't have bills or rent to show...

I guess TRV is really the best option... Thank you! :)

For TRV though, when can I invite her? Do I need to show a certain monthly income for her to get approved? Should I declare her as my girlfriend or just a friend...?
Be warned that if you land as a PR as single but later show you shared the same address for 12 months (in a shared flat or not, and despite no official proofs), IRCC may declare you were common-law, accuse you of misrepresentation and ban you from ever sponsoring her.

How exactly are you getting your current PR status?

dny0821

Star Member
Mar 2, 2017
Be warned that if you land as a PR as single but later show you shared the same address for 12 months (in a shared flat or not, and despite no official proofs), IRCC may declare you were common-law, accuse you of misrepresentation and ban you from ever sponsoring her.

How exactly are you getting your current PR status?
Hmmm our address when we were working abroad is a general address (Name of Hospital Accommodation, Street, City, Po Box). We've been staying in that accommodation for more than two years. And when we transferred hospital, we shared free accommodation as well.

Got my PR status through EE. Received my visa last August but only decided to land this month. I'm encouraging her to retake IELTS so she can get through EE as well though.