+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusions for ICT, NAFTA Do not Claim points!

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
I have seen lot people here in the forum who will claim points without knowing the rules.

ONLY CLAIM POINTS IF :-
Your work permit is ICT, NAFTA francophone with employers name on it.
You should have been given letter of job offer from current employer in canada that you will work for them for atleast 1 yr after becoming PR. Not after ITA submission.

DO NOT CLAIM POINTS IF:-

You are on PGWP or Open work permit without employers name on it.
You have ICT, NAFTA but you dont have any job offer from employer or you have job offer but less than of 1 yr.
You have not worked for atleast 1 yr on WP.
Additional things

Do not claim points by just thinking that your WP is valid till 2 yrs from now. WP valid does not guarantee that you will remain on job.
And it can take time for you to receive ITA and then app to get processed.

For example if your WP is valid till april 2018. You think that I have 1.5 yrs so I should claim points. Dont claim on just these basis. Because if you receive ITA in say jan 2017 than you become PR on jan 2018 you will not have 1 yr of job after PR. Thats why you need a letter.

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016
Hey Fatani,

Isnt, this topic a confusing one? The condition is that 1 year work permit after PR. Well, we all know the PR comes quite late in the series. Consider an applicant is confident that he/she will continue to be in job after PR and update the express entry. The points are increased. Applicant gets an ITA. Later on, there is some issue with a job. Then what would happen. Unnecessarily, an ITA is spoiled. Isnt it?

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Pawshi said:
Hey Fatani,

Isnt, this topic a confusing one? The condition is that 1 year work permit after PR. Well, we all know the PR comes quite late in the series. Consider an applicant is confident that he/she will continue to be in job after PR and update the express entry. The points are increased. Applicant gets an ITA. Later on, there is some issue with a job. Then what would happen. Unnecessarily, an ITA is spoiled. Isnt it?
Yes it got complicated. Thats why to claim points a person should have the letter that he/she will have the job in this company where he/she is working right now. And that too after becoming PR. As it is the case for LMIA that you should have a LMIA supported job of 1 yr after becoming PR.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Pawshi said:
Hey Fatani,

Lot of them will claim the points without knowing the conditions. Hence they will get rejected.

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016
But they will eat away the ITA...and those in waiting would remain in waiting....not a fair one. They should have the absolute one, so that chances of rejections are low to nil....

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Pawshi said:
But they will eat away the ITA...and those in waiting would remain in waiting....not a fair one. They should have the absolute one, so that chances of rejections are low to nil....
Yes they will eat up few ITAs but if they withdraw decline or got rejected than CIC will make up for those ITAs in order to get their targets.

roger_cat

Oct 1, 2016
Hi guys!
Is there any existing thread with more information on NAFTA and International Free Trade Agreements?

I have found the following information and I want to read further on this topic:

New ways to receive points for job offers
Foreign nationals in select categories will also have the opportunity to be awarded points for having a qualifying job offer (either 50 or 200, as above), without the need for an LMIA.

This applies to:

Work permit holders under International Free Trade Agreements [R204(a)]:

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Canada-Chile FTA
Canada-Peru FTA
Canada-Colombia FTA
Canada-Korea FTA
Canadian Interests [R205]
Includes the IEC program, academic exchanges, and performing arts.

The qualifying job offer for candidates under both R204(a) and R205 must meet the following criteria:

The offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit.
The foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work for that employer.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
roger_cat said:
Hi guys!
Is there any existing thread with more information on NAFTA and International Free Trade Agreements?

I have found the following information and I want to read further on this topic:

New ways to receive points for job offers
Foreign nationals in select categories will also have the opportunity to be awarded points for having a qualifying job offer (either 50 or 200, as above), without the need for an LMIA.

This applies to:

Work permit holders under International Free Trade Agreements [R204(a)]:

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Canada-Chile FTA
Canada-Peru FTA
Canada-Colombia FTA
Canada-Korea FTA
Canadian Interests [R205]
Includes the IEC program, academic exchanges, and performing arts.

The qualifying job offer for candidates under both R204(a) and R205 must meet the following criteria:

The offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit.
The foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work for that employer.
3 conditions in which you can claim points on ICT NAFTA or other work permits. That does not include PGWP and open WP.

1. Your employer name should be written on your WP.
2. You should have worked for atleast one year continue for that employer.
3, The same employer should provide you the letter of employment like a job offer that you will be working for him for atleast 1 yr after becoming PR. NOT AFTER ITA.

And the letter of offer is important to prove the claim of your points. Just Valid WP for say about 1-2 more yrs wont suffice because processing can take time or you can get fired anytime in between processing thats why 1 yr offer letter after becoming PR is mandotary.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Job offers will only need to be a minimum of one year in duration once they receive permanent residence.

"By changing the job offer requirement from permanent to one year means that more highly skilled candidates working in contract-based industries will have a higher likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residence".

This part is more complex than it looks, what happens if someone looses his job after he gets PR? Will PR become invalid? We have to wait and see how the CRS tool incorporates the changes in 19th Nov 2016.

JattTinka

Aug 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi senior members, my question is off topic but I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on this.
I'll give a brief description first
I have an electrical engineering technology advanced diploma with co-op. The original program includes 6 semesters and 4 - four month co-ops. I have a bachelors from home country so I got direct admission into 4th semester and I finished 3 semesters (4,5,6) and a few mandatory courses from first three semesters and did 3 co-ops. The diploma certificate I received states - 'Electrical Engineering Technology Advanced Diploma with co-op'. I started in Jan 2013 and finished in April 2015.
My question is, Would this be considered as a 3 year diploma or 2 year?

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
fatani said:
I have seen lot people here in the forum who will claim points without knowing the rules.

ONLY CLAIM POINTS IF :-
Your work permit is ICT, NAFTA francophone with employers name on it.
You should have been given letter of job offer from current employer in canada that you will work for them for atleast 1 yr after becoming PR. Not after ITA submission.

DO NOT CLAIM POINTS IF:-

You are on PGWP or Open work permit without employers name on it.
You have ICT, NAFTA but you dont have any job offer from employer or you have job offer but less than of 1 yr.
You have not worked for atleast 1 yr on WP.
Additional things

Do not claim points by just thinking that your WP is valid till 2 yrs from now. WP valid does not guarantee that you will remain on job.
And it can take time for you to receive ITA and then app to get processed.

For example if your WP is valid till april 2018. You think that I have 1.5 yrs so I should claim points. Dont claim on just these basis. Because if you receive ITA in say jan 2017 than you become PR on jan 2018 you will not have 1 yr of job after PR. Thats why you need a letter.
If you are aware, company now has to file LMIA exemption for ICT WP extension which is nothing but Offer of employment number. If my company files my ICT WP extension today with LMIA Exemption Job offer number along with Company Job offer letter and my extension gets approved for two years, won't that suffice my requirement of Job offer to add that 50 points. Logically yes :-\

This ideally would mean WP validity might play a bigger picture here, I am curious to hear more from CIC on 19th Nov. ???

Ansuman

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-02-2017
AOR Received.
11-02-2017
Med's Done....
07-03-2017
Passport Req..
26-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-2017
LANDED..........
07-05-2017
thinkshady said:
If you are aware, company now has to file LMIA exemption for ICT WP extension which is nothing but Offer of employment number. If my company files my ICT WP extension today with LMIA Exemption Job offer number along with Company Job offer letter and my extension gets approved for two years, won't that suffice my requirement of Job offer to add that 50 points. Logically yes :-\

This ideally would mean WP validity might play a bigger picture here, I am curious to hear more from CIC on 19th Nov. ???
Your are right and logical. There will be few who will give you letter what had been discussed earlier saying that they will keep you one year after PR.
:)

chidambaramp

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018
3 conditions in which you can claim points on ICT NAFTA or other work permits. That does not include PGWP and open WP.

1. Your employer name should be written on your WP.
2. You should have worked for atleast one year continue for that employer.
3, The same employer should provide you the letter of employment like a job offer that you will be working for him for atleast 1 yr after becoming PR. NOT AFTER ITA.

And the letter of offer is important to prove the claim of your points. Just Valid WP for say about 1-2 more yrs wont suffice because processing can take time or you can get fired anytime in between processing thats why 1 yr offer letter after becoming PR is mandotary.
i am getting 13 months extension for my visa. i will be having the offer letter but it will be only for 13 months, so can i put Yes to ' Do you have a job offer'. when i submit my ITA, my job offer will be valid for 13 months. can i claim 50 points with that???