+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion with OWP

Popowich

Feb 3, 2015
My husband and I have decided to do family sponsor from inland (yes we are aware of times and wait) and are confused with the information provided for us for OWP.

We will be sending off his inland app in two weeks here and I have a few questions:

1) Is the family sponsor app and OWP application sent in the same envelope together? or send to two different locations?

2) If the OWP is sent to a different location, how do we let them know it's part of the Family sponsorship?

3) My husbands current Work Permit expires in May, if we do NOT hear back about his OWP by then may he continue working under implied status or not?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Popowich said:
My husband and I have decided to do family sponsor from inland (yes we are aware of times and wait) and are confused with the information provided for us for OWP.

We will be sending off his inland app in two weeks here and I have a few questions:

1) Is the family sponsor app and OWP application sent in the same envelope together? or send to two different locations?

2) If the OWP is sent to a different location, how do we let them know it's part of the Family sponsorship?

3) My husbands current Work Permit expires in May, if we do NOT hear back about his OWP by then may he continue working under implied status or not?
Send them together.

What kind of work permit does your husband have? If it's an IEC, then no, he cannot continue working under implied status, same for PGWP.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Popowich said:

1) the OWP and family PR sponsorship are sent to same location in mississauga.

2) sent to same location. Once mississauga update your application in the system, vegreville office will be notified of the OWP pending application.

3) your husband will have "implied status" to continue working so long as CIC recieved your PR application and OWP before the work visa expires.

Side note: if husband is on IEC, he will only have "implied status" as a visitor the day after IEC expire date. He cannot continue working. IEC does not get "implied status" to continue working.

Popowich

Feb 3, 2015
I will have to double check what his work permit is. It's under LMO(his company wanted him to continue working for them) right now but his initial one was post graduate work permit.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Popowich said:
I will have to double check what his work permit is. It's under LMO(his company wanted him to continue working for them) right now but his initial one was post graduate work permit.
Work visas issued through LMO are non-PGWP, non IEC visas. So it sounds like the husband can continue working under "implied status". PGWP and IEC are open work visas. Work visas through LMO are "closed" work visas which means you can only work for listed employer only.

Screech339