+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion regarding Work Experience

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
Hi All,

I have received an ITA in October 03, 2018 draw. I have certain confusion regarding the work experience that I have. I have searched through several posts on the forum but was not able to find a clear answer hence posting my case over here. I will present my case below.

I have following work experience which I have mentioned in the 10 year history sections
  1. May 2010 - Sep 2010 - Job Role 1 (Trainee) - Not mentioned in profile for pool and no reference letter
  2. Sep 2010 - Jul 2011 - Co founded a company (now defunct) - Job Role 2 - Not mentioned in profile for pool and no reference letter
  3. Aug 2011 - Aug 2016 - Job Role 2 (Full Time) - Mentioned in profile for pool and reference letter available
  4. Apr 2018 - till date - Job Role 3 (Full Time) - Mentioned in profile for pool and reference letter available
As you can see from the above details, my experience number 1 and 2 are not very significant and I don't have reference letters for the same and for the same reason I had not added them in my profile for express entry pool. After receiving ITA I had to give 10 years history and that is where I have mentioned the details.

My major work experience i.e. 5 years is no.3 above and I have all the documents to prove the employment as well as the NOC code. Now, I have a few queries as follows.
  1. Experience mentioned in no.4 above is less that one year and is from my current employer. Do I still need a complete reference letter? Is a simple experience letter along with appointment letter and salary slips sufficient?
  2. Can I make changes to my work experience section and remove experience no.4 as it is not relevant for point calculation, without raising any red flags?
  3. Will there be any discrepancy in the application and the Work Experience section has only no.3 and 4 whereas 10 years history section has all 4 along with the education in between? (I will be uploading supporting documents for only no.3 and 4)
I will be grateful if some of you could answer the queries.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Regards

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi All,

I have received an ITA in October 03, 2018 draw. I have certain confusion regarding the work experience that I have. I have searched through several posts on the forum but was not able to find a clear answer hence posting my case over here. I will present my case below.

I have following work experience which I have mentioned in the 10 year history sections
  1. May 2010 - Sep 2010 - Job Role 1 (Trainee) - Not mentioned in profile for pool and no reference letter
  2. Sep 2010 - Jul 2011 - Co founded a company (now defunct) - Job Role 2 - Not mentioned in profile for pool and no reference letter
  3. Aug 2011 - Aug 2016 - Job Role 2 (Full Time) - Mentioned in profile for pool and reference letter available
  4. Apr 2018 - till date - Job Role 3 (Full Time) - Mentioned in profile for pool and reference letter available
As you can see from the above details, my experience number 1 and 2 are not very significant and I don't have reference letters for the same and for the same reason I had not added them in my profile for express entry pool. After receiving ITA I had to give 10 years history and that is where I have mentioned the details.

My major work experience i.e. 5 years is no.3 above and I have all the documents to prove the employment as well as the NOC code. Now, I have a few queries as follows.
  1. Experience mentioned in no.4 above is less that one year and is from my current employer. Do I still need a complete reference letter? Is a simple experience letter along with appointment letter and salary slips sufficient?
  2. Can I make changes to my work experience section and remove experience no.4 as it is not relevant for point calculation, without raising any red flags?
  3. Will there be any discrepancy in the application and the Work Experience section has only no.3 and 4 whereas 10 years history section has all 4 along with the education in between? (I will be uploading supporting documents for only no.3 and 4)
I will be grateful if some of you could answer the queries.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Regards
1) Remove number 4 experience from work history and put it in personal history
2) No red flag, you can remove
3) You have misunderstood, this is not discrepancy it is other way round, actually Personal history section is there to remove the discrepancy.

I am hoping you are aware of 67 eligibility points where you can claim up to six years experience. So if claiming points for only number 3 experience gives you 67 points then you can make the above mentioned changes without any problem. If you require to count number 4 experience to make up 67 points then you cannot remove it otherwise your profile will be ineligible because your eligibility points will fall below 67 points.
To check eligibility points please check this link-
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

Hope it helps.

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
1) Remove number 4 experience from work history and put it in personal history
2) No red flag, you can remove
3) You have misunderstood, this is not discrepancy it is other way round, actually Personal history section is there to remove the discrepancy.

I am hoping you are aware of 67 eligibility points where you can claim up to six years experience. So if claiming points for only number 3 experience gives you 67 points then you can make the above mentioned changes without any problem. If you require to count number 4 experience to make up 67 points then you cannot remove it otherwise your profile will be ineligible because your eligibility points will fall below 67 points.
To check eligibility points please check this link-
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

Hope it helps.
Thank you so much for a swift response and for giving clarity on the application process.

I am aware about the FSW criteria of minimum 67 points. I have calculated the points as follows for 5 years of experience and I am able to score 77 in same. Please let me know if there is any error in my calculations.

Language Skills - CLB 9 [24]
Education - Masters [23]
Work Experience - 5 yrs . [13]
Age (18-35) [12]
Employment in Canada [0]
Adaptability [5]
Total
[77]

Based on this I think it will be best to remove my experience no.4 and just upload the reference letter for no.3.

Reactions: ishq74

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thank you so much for a swift response and for giving clarity on the application process.

I am aware about the FSW criteria of minimum 67 points. I have calculated the points as follows for 5 years of experience and I am able to score 77 in same. Please let me know if there is any error in my calculations.

Language Skills - CLB 9 [24]
Education - Masters [23]
Work Experience - 5 yrs . [13]
Age (18-35) [12]
Employment in Canada [0]
Adaptability [5]
Total
[77]

Based on this I think it will be best to remove my experience no.4 and just upload the reference letter for no.3.
Correct. Go ahead! Good Luck!

Urey

Nov 9, 2021
Hello all! I have got a question regarding the six skills tool for the FSW EE I need to resolve. My profile has been confirmed ineligibile recently. If one has a work experience which is not continuous but is more than 2 years in duration in total, does that experience count as 2-3 years for the six skills points calculation tool or only the one that was continuous will be considered and the others won't add to it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all! I have got a question regarding the six skills tool for the FSW EE I need to resolve. My profile has been confirmed ineligibile recently. If one has a work experience which is not continuous but is more than 2 years in duration in total, does that experience count as 2-3 years for the six skills points calculation tool or only the one that was continuous will be considered and the others won't add to it?
You need one year continuous skilled experience to even be eligible. If you don’t, you are not so having two years experience makes no difference. Detail your years of employment to understand how many years of experience you have.

Last edited: