+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion regarding documents for Spouse Open Work Permit

Ashish1788

Dec 3, 2018
Dear friends, I am an Indian citizen working in Canada since the past one year. My current work permit will expire in September 2019. I came to India recently and got married to my fiancee on Nov 19th. She applied for a Visitor Visa for Canada for an intended stay of 10 months on Nov 23rd. In her application she mentioned that she is unemployed and is financially dependent on me, and would therefore like to move to Canada till the expiry of my work permit. Unfortunately the visa was refused on Nov 30th, on the grounds that her purpose of visit, personal assets and financial status do not provide the assurance that she would leave Canada at the expiry of her stay.

I posted my concerns regarding my situation on this forum at the link:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/visitor-visa-for-dependent-wife-refused.598643/
and received very helpful answers by @Bryanna (thanks to her!).

It was suggested to us that my wife should rather apply for the Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP). My job as a post-doctoral fellow in Canada indeed allows for this possibility. We completed the Come to Canada wizard to generate the list of documents needed for the SOWP application. It seems that my wife is required to upload the following docs:
1. Work permit application IMM1295E
2. Family information IMM5707
3. Passport
4. Digital Photo
5. Proof of upfront medical exam
6. Proof of relationship

We are both very confused with the above list of documents. The primary reason is that they have not asked for my work permit, my bank statements or pay stubs, any kind of invitation letter from myself to my wife etc. Basically, the required set of documents does not ask for any info about myself, except perhaps our proof of relationship. How are they going to ascertain that my wife indeed has a spouse with a valid work permit in Canada, if they have not asked for it in the first place? Also, they have not asked for any kind of letter detailing my wife's purpose of travel, her financial assets in India, where would she stay while in Canada etc.

Since SOWP is usually issued with a date of expiry same as that of the spouse presently working in Canada, and since they have not asked for my work permit, how are they going to put an expiry date on my wife's SOWP + TRV? Is it possible that they will check my work permit at the port of entry and issue an SOWP to her at that time?

My wife's Visitor Visa was refused on the grounds that her personal assets and financial status did not guarantee that she would leave Canada at the end of her stay. How are they going to judge this issue in the SOWP application, where they have not even asked for any kind of document showing her financial assets, purpose of travel etc? How are they going to decide upon whether she is likely to return to India after the end of her stay in Canada?

I am very worried about the possibility that they may refuse the TRV, which is supposed to be processed automatically as part of the SOWP application, once again.

Any help and suggestion would be highly appreciated!

Dhan09

Aug 3, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-03-2020
U have to upload a single document in the additional documents section with all the files: your wp, passport, her certifcates, bank statements, ur pay slips, photos, chat logs or whatever doc u have when u apply for her SOWP.

Last edited: