+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion regarding change of NOC level and effect on CRS points.

soumendranath

Jun 15, 2017
I have a btech(4 years)degree in electrical engineering and I have a relevant 3 years of working experience (Catagory -A, NOC 2133).
Currently I am going to pursue a distance MBA course from IGNOU. So after my MBA , my qualification will change and with that my NOC category will be NOC-O.
Now my question is if I put my qualification as MBA , do I need to get 3 more years of experience from a MBA related job in order to get the skill transferrablity points and experience points in CRS, or as I have a b.tech degree in electrical engineering my experience in that field would be enough. I am confused.Please help me with this.
Thanks.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
NOC is based on work experience. It is not based on your educational qualification.

So if you have 3 years experience as electrical engineer, then your NOC should be based on that.

Regardless of your NOC, you will get additional points for education once you complete your MBA. And your experience in electrical engineering is enough.

Reactions: soumendranath

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So after my MBA , my qualification will change and with that my NOC category will be NOC-O.

That is not correct. Your NOC is based solely on the job you are performing - job duties and responsibilities - not your degree.

Now my question is if I put my qualification as MBA , do I need to get 3 more years of experience from a MBA related job in order to get the skill transferrablity points and experience points in CRS, or as I have a b.tech degree in electrical engineering my experience in that field would be enough. I am confused.

Again, you get points for skilled work experience based on your NOC and related job duties/responsibilities, not degrees.
Thanks.

soumendranath

Jun 15, 2017
Thank you for replying, but in the NOC section it is written that work experience should be relevant or appropriate to the educational qualification, and as they only take the highest qualification (in this case MBA) , won't there be a mismatch as I have the experience of NOC Catagory A(2133)?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Thank you for replying, but in the NOC section it is written that work experience should be relevant or appropriate to the educational qualification, and as they only take the highest qualification (in this case MBA) , won't there be a mismatch as I have the experience of NOC Catagory A(2133)?
You don't have any issues. There will be issues only if work experience is entirely different from educational qualification.

Like you work as a nurse but your qualification is BSc mathematics. Or you work as mechanical engineer and your qualification is masters in zoology.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for replying, but in the NOC section it is written that work experience should be relevant or appropriate to the educational qualification,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

"Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

(This is true unless you work in a regulated occupation; NOC 2133 is not regulated except for if you claim to be a P.Eng - in that case, if you claim to be a P.Eng, you must meet the employment requirements.)

and as they only take the highest qualification (in this case MBA) , won't there be a mismatch as I have the experience of NOC Catagory A(2133)?

I have no idea what you mean by "they only take the highest qualification." Getting an MBA in no way invalidates your bachelor's degree... Even if you only list the MBA in your profile, you will have to list ALL your education in the eAPR...

Short answer - No, there won't be an mismatch, and in any case, you do not need to meet the employment requirements (unless you are claiming the title of P.Eng).

Last edited: