+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion on type of visitor VISA.

Jan 11, 2021
Hi Friends,

After reading a lot and consulting with immigration consultants, I am still not clear about the type and validity of each type of visitor visa. I want to apply for a visitor visa for my parents to visit family in Canada. Can you please clearly help me understand the difference between these visas.

1. Temporary resident visa - I am confused with this mostly, At many places, I am reading that it's valid for 10 years and one entry stay is up to 6 months. is it not true? one of the immigration consultants told me that it's only valid for up to 2 years and one entry stay is 6 months? CIC website doesn't mention clearly the validity of this?
2. Tourist Visa - How different is it from TRV? However, for this, the CIC website clearly mentions it's valid for 10 years and one entry stay is 6 months.
3. Super Visa - I know this is valid for 10 years and one entry stay can be up to 2 years. After 2 years new application needs to be submitted t renew it.

Can you clarify the first 2 points? also what needs to be done after 6 month stay? (leave Canada and come back or renew it?)
Thanks

Reactions: Brozachs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends,

After reading a lot and consulting with immigration consultants, I am still not clear about the type and validity of each type of visitor visa. I want to apply for a visitor visa for my parents to visit family in Canada. Can you please clearly help me understand the difference between these visas.

1. Temporary resident visa - I am confused with this mostly, At many places, I am reading that it's valid for 10 years and one entry stay is up to 6 months. is it not true? one of the immigration consultants told me that it's only valid for up to 2 years and one entry stay is 6 months? CIC website doesn't mention clearly the validity of this?
2. Tourist Visa - How different is it from TRV? However, for this, the CIC website clearly mentions it's valid for 10 years and one entry stay is 6 months.
3. Super Visa - I know this is valid for 10 years and one entry stay can be up to 2 years. After 2 years new application needs to be submitted t renew it.

Can you clarify the first 2 points? also what needs to be done after 6 month stay? (leave Canada and come back or renew it?)
Thanks
1. How long the TRV is issued for is up to IRCC. It can be issued for up to 10 years but sometimes only a shorter duration is given. For example, the TRV cannot be issued for a period of time longer than the validity of your passport. Also, IRCC will sometimes grant a shorter TRV if the applicant's ties to their home country are not that strong. The six months is how long TRV holders are typically allowed into Canada (the default visit is six months but the CBSA officer can decide to allow a visitor in for a shorter period depending on a variety of factors). This is different than the validity of the TRV. A 10 year TRV doesn't allow you to remain in Canada for 10 years - all it does is allow you to visit Canada over a 10 year period. How long you are allowed into Canada on each visit is up to CBSA and is a maximum of six months for TRVs. If you want to stay beyond six months, then you have to apply for an extension from within Canada.
2. It's basically the same thing. Again, you are confusing visa validity with how long someone is allowed into Canada. Visa validity is 10 years. How long visitors are allowed into Canada is the six months.
3. Again, you are still confusing the validity of the visa itself with how long someone is allowed to remain in Canada. These are two completely different things. If someone wants to stay beyond the length of time they were allowed into Canada, then must apply for an extension.