+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion on extending visitor for small child

Leokong

Aug 24, 2018
Hi everyone - I am an international student in Canada and now I am extending my study permit (and meanwhile extending my wife's open work permit and my 3-year-old daughter's visitor status).

However when filling the imm5257b_1 form for my daughter, it says: Indicate whether you are: (1) The principal applicant (2) The spouse, common-law partner or dependent child aged 18 years or older of the principal applicant. Obviously the 3-year old child doesn't fit into any category - what shall I do?

How did I get the form - I set up a new application in CIC website, answered all the questions of my family (including my little one), and it sent me to the document uploading page. Under the children's section, I downloaded this form "imm5257b_1.pdf" with the title of "Schedule 1 - Application for temporary residence"

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi everyone - I am an international student in Canada and now I am extending my study permit (and meanwhile extending my wife's open work permit and my 3-year-old daughter's visitor status).

However when filling the imm5257b_1 form for my daughter, it says: Indicate whether you are: (1) The principal applicant (2) The spouse, common-law partner or dependent child aged 18 years or older of the principal applicant. Obviously the 3-year old child doesn't fit into any category - what shall I do?

How did I get the form - I set up a new application in CIC website, answered all the questions of my family (including my little one), and it sent me to the document uploading page. Under the children's section, I downloaded this form "imm5257b_1.pdf" with the title of "Schedule 1 - Application for temporary residence"

Thanks!
You should get the 'Application to extend stay or change conditions' form. Do check the selections you made

Leokong

Aug 24, 2018
You should get the 'Application to extend stay or change conditions' form. Do check the selections you made
Thanks - I got that too - it is imm5708e.pdf and there is no such confusion in that form. In conclusion, under my daughter's section, there two forms asked by CIC - (1) imm5708e, (2) imm5257b_1 (where I have the question)

Thx

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks - I got that too - it is imm5708e.pdf and there is no such confusion in that form. In conclusion, under my daughter's section, there two forms asked by CIC - (1) imm5708e, (2) imm5257b_1 (where I have the question)

Thx
You would be applying to extend her visitor status. You would not be applying for a new TRV

Leokong

Aug 24, 2018
You would be applying to extend her visitor status. You would not be applying for a new TRV
Thanks - imm5708e is the form to extend the stay as visitor instead of application for new TRV. That's not a problem but my question is the other form (imm5257b_1) - because CIC asked me to fill in these two forms for my daughter but in the imm5257b_1 it is either principal applicant (which is me in this case) or spouse / children above 18 years old (so my daughter doesn't fall in either category and I am wondering whether she really needs to fill in that form? - but CIC pushed these two forms to me after I answered all the online questions..)

Hope my answer is clear. - in conclusion it is the problem for imm5257b_1 ("Schedule 1 - Application for temporary residence") which asked some questions like whether you joined military services and asked for travel records "since the age of 18 or during the past five years, whichever is more recent".

If children under 18 is not supposed to fill in this form - why CIC system will push it to their document requirement list?

Manminder1979

Feb 26, 2020
Montreal
Hi

I need some urgent help for imm5708e form. I am filling the form for my kid 6 year older and there is one employment section in the form. I am unable to validate the form without filling this section but as my kid is not applicable for this section so what should i fill here and complete the form.

Looking forward for a quick response from anyone. Thanks in Advance!

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...