+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion of Part 1 and Part 2

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Hello

I am filling out the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class for my spouse who lives outside of Canada. The question I have is: who has to fill out Part 1 and Part 2? Do I fill out both parts or do I fill out part 1 only and my wife fills out part 2? I called Immigration Canada and they informed me that my wife has to fill out a few forms that I don't fill out. Or should I fill out all the forms and ask her to do the same and submit two copies of each? Now I am confused. Does anyone know?

Also, at the top of each form there is Applicant Name and Date of Birth. Would that have to be my details or the details of my spouse?

Thanks so much!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Do it online and it automatically fills out the top part.

Your wife (the sponsor) fills out her forms and you fill out yours. There aren't any joint forms. The only thing you have to do is make aure you sign the sponsors main fom at the end. That's it.

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Hi Gary

Wouldn't I be the sponsor if I am sponsoring her to come to Canada? So which part is the one that I have to fill out and which part does she have to fill out? Or are there separate forms from both part 1 and part 2 that needs to be filled out and included in one package?

Thank you

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
msingh2013 said:
Hi Gary

Wouldn't I be the sponsor if I am sponsoring her to come to Canada? So which part is the one that I have to fill out and which part does she have to fill out? Or are there separate forms from both part 1 and part 2 that needs to be filled out and included in one package?

Thank you
Ahh, ok, my apologies. I thought your wife was sponsoring you. Ok, so first off, dont look at it as part 1 and part 2. Look at it as forms for the sponsor and forms for the applicant.

Here are the forms:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

For the sponsor:
Document Checklist [IMM 5491]
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344]
Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481]

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (if applicable)
Sponsor Questionnaire [IMM 5540]
Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (if applicable)

For the applicant:
Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (if applicable)
Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490]

Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (if applicable)

All the forms in bold are NEEDED and are ESSENTIAL. Any forms not bolded, aren't. If you are married you dont need the statutory declaration. If you dont have kids, you dont need the dependants. If you are not using a lawyer or will deal with your own applications yourselves, you dont need a use of representative form.

YOU fill out all the sponsoship forms. Your wife fills out all the applicant forms. The only crossover is on form IMM1344. On this form, you fill everything out, but at the very end it asks for the signature of the applicant. So your wife needs to sign this form to show she has read the terms listed at the end of the application. Other than that, each set of forms is filled out by either the applicant or the sponsor. No need to include two copies of anything.

ALSO, make sure you complete forms IMM1344 and IMM0008 on a computer, as they need to be validated. This means, when you have completed the forms on a computer, you must press a button that will generate barcodes to attach to the application. This is a must.

I hope this helps and good luck!! :)

Gary

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Also, there are country specific guides to help your wife fill out her forms. You can find them at the link i provided!

Shayeste

Star Member
Dec 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
AOR Received.
23-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2012 (in process)
Passport Req..
19-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2013
msingh2013 said:
Hi Gary

Thank you
Hi,

You are the sponsor.
If you go to this page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

you see part 1 and part 2.

You need to fill out and sign all the required forms in part 1. You spouse needs to fill our all the required forms in part 2.
It is because you are applying to sponsor your spouse. Your spouse is applying to immigrate to Canada.

I hope this helps clear things for you.

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Hi Gary/Shayeste

Wow that was super helpful. You really clarified things for me. Now the question about the proof is that would I need to include the proof of continued communication (i.e. emails/Facebook chat/letters/phone logs) from both ends or if I include them from my end that will be enough?

Thanks again!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
I'm assuming you don't live together right now no?

If not then yes proof of communication is essential!

Send copies of facebook chats, emails and or letters.

Don't go crazy tho! Many people print out hundreds of pages. Maybe one or two email chats a month since you were married or since you've been apart would suffice. Just to show theres on going communication.

I live with my sponsor so we just included a screenshot of our email accounts showing we have sent emails but not of the actual emails.

Make sure to include as much stuff as possible tho to ensure they don't ask for more docs later which could delay the process. Just saying, don't over do it for each one :)

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks Gary....

She lives in India and I live in Canada. I was actually thinking of printing out a few hundred pages for them to see so that they don't come back and ask questions. How many pictures of us being together do you think would suffice? Also I never went for a honeymoon due to lack of time, do you think that would matter?

Thanks again!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
When it asks about the honeymoon on the questionnaire just explain in full detail why you didn't have one.

As for pictures I only put 20 in! It depends on what you feel comfortable with!

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks Gary. Would a relationship essay be needed? I read someone asking about that in the forum and someone wrote back that it is highly recommended. But I never saw that in the application form anywhere. Maybe I should call CIC :)

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
I read this on the forum note:

The relationship essays are asked for at the end of these two forms: Sponsor Questionnaire IMM 5540, and Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire IMM 5490

At the end of each they state:

On a separate sheet of paper, provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing.

This is the relationship essay that people have been talking about.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
msingh2013 said:
I got the answer to my own question. It needs to include an essay from both sides.
Hey! I didn't include an essay. I just answered the questions for the applicant questionnaire in full. I outlined out relationship there in essay form. I did include a timeline however.

In the end its up to you. My partner didn't write an essay.

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the tips Gary. How many pictures did you include? Did you include your wedding card and guest lists as well?