+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion in Spousal Sponsorship

kimberlyg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello,

I am a bit confused with these forms and wonder if anyone can help!

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in France with my French husband and our son who is both a Canadian citizen and a French citizen. We are applying for permanent residence for my husband to come to Canada, and I am uncertain if I need to fill out several forms as his wife since I am a canadian citizen. For example, on form Imm 0008 under dependants it asks to list all dependants who are not already permanent residents or citizens of canada. That seems clear to me that i need not fill it out, yet i am dependant on my husband as is my son. So do I fill it out or is it non-applicable b/c I'm Canadian? Also on form Imm 5406 it asks each family member to fill out the form, but do i need to fill one out for myself if i am canadian?

Also, is it going to hurt us in terms of being approved for me to sponsor my husband if he is the sole supporter of our family? We do have savings to move to Canada and we both are educated and plan to get jobs (I'm a teacher and he is both an engineer and a massage therapist) but we do not have jobs waiting for us in Canada. We've also been travelling to be together for the past few years and I have not worked. Do you think I can sponsor him even though my income in the last few years has been almost zero?

Thank you for your help!
Feeling a bit lost!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hi,
1. for application purposes, you are the "sponsor", you are not a "spouse" or "family member". these forms are generic forms used for all immigration streams, so those terms refer to couples/families applying for PR together. as the canadian sponsor, these dont' apply to you, so you do not need to fill out the additional family form. also, i believe you and your son would not be considered dependants in this situation. "Dependents" are spouses or children that are also applying for PR.

2. there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, and sponsors are not required to be employed. there are many people who are approved as sponsors with no/low income or unemployed. Your focus needs to be on proving to CIC that you guys will not apply for welfare immediately after moving to Canada. You can do this by showing savings, letters of support from family and friends, as well as show your spouse's plan for gaining employment after getting to canada. it is not required to have a plan set in stone - research into areas, industries, companies are fine, they just want to see you will be able to support yourselves upon moving.