+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion for existing and new study permit

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
Hello folks,

I've been recently granted a visa for a Master of Computer Science at Algoma University, Brampton - Fall 24

But I applied for Jan 24, and the intake was deferred due to visa delay by IRCC

Since many good universities open their admissions for the biggest intake i.e. Fall intake, I applied for Wilfrid Laurier's Applied Computing (MAC) program and has been admitted for Sep 24 at Brantford Campus

But I see IRCC asks to withdraw the existing study permit and apply for a new one when changing universities is that true?

I'm confused about which one to choose b/w Wilfrid Laurier and Algoma
, I know WLU is a very top-ranked university when we compare it to Algoma

Fees at WLU are more i.e. 9K for each term i.e. 36K for 4 terms (2 years) right While Algoma has 25K for the entire year, that's it, so 10K more expense for WLU in tuition

If I go with WLU then GIC would cost me another 10K, so a total of 20K more expense for WLU and not to mention the extra hassle of applying for a study permit again, waiting for approval for months, what about the background checks do they run again when applying from same UCI

I would appreciate any help, Thanks in advance!

Course links -

WLU - https://www.wlu.ca/programs/science/graduate/applied-computing-mac/index.html
Algoma - https://algomau.ca/academics/graduate-programs/master-of-computer-science/

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need a new study permit. You have to decide what program is best for your career advancement, and whether you can justify higher costs at WLU with better pay and job opportunities. Algoma Brampton doesn’t have a great reputation as it is just for international students and has been in the news a lot, and not for very good reasons (housing, food bank, protesting international students demanding that they should not fail, less PALs). Not a good look. WLU is a good university and much better than Algoma. Is your program in Brantford…not even at main campus? Is it co-op?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/more-international-students-at-algoma-university-join-protest-over-failing-grades/article_26b1c6dc-b31d-11ee-a09f-a7cbd6d873a6.html

Last edited:
Reactions: architgarg

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
You need a new study permit. You have to decide what program is best for your career advancement, and whether you can justify higher costs at WLU with better pay and job opportunities. Algoma Brampton doesn’t have a great reputation as it is just for international students and has been in the news a lot, and not for very good reasons (housing, food bank, protesting international students demanding that they should not fail, less PALs). Not a good look. WLU is a good university and much better than Algoma. Is your program in Brantford…not even at main campus? Is it co-op?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/more-international-students-at-algoma-university-join-protest-over-failing-grades/article_26b1c6dc-b31d-11ee-a09f-a7cbd6d873a6.html
yes, you're right @Naturgrl , starting this fall WLU has shifted their MAC coursework at Brantford, and yes it isn't co-op.
plus, I see an OINP advantage in WLU coz it's not in GTA, so more points, do you think the campus and co-op thing is bad in my case

Any idea if the IRCC would still take a long time to process my file given that my background checks all were already done previously, the thing is I cannot afford to miss this intake because they already took more than 4 months to process my file

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yes, you're right @Naturgrl , starting this fall WLU has shifted their MAC coursework at Brantford, and yes it isn't co-op.
plus, I see an OINP advantage in WLU coz it's not in GTA, so more points, do you think the campus and co-op thing is bad in my case

Any idea if the IRCC would still take a long time to process my file given that my background checks all were already done previously, the thing is I cannot afford to miss this intake because they already took more than 4 months to process my file
Your application is new and starts again. I cannot say how long it will take. Apply and see what happens. In the meantime, find accomodation. Brantford is a small town.

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
Your application is new and starts again. I cannot say how long it will take. Apply and see what happens. In the meantime, find accomodation. Brantford is a small town.
yeah that's the gamble if the application starts fresh and the visa decision takes that much time again, I have a bare minimum of days to decide for WLU and it's a prestigious university too, but I need to weigh the chances that if this hassle is worth or not

Accommodation won't be an issue, plan to live with sibling near Niagara

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yeah that's the gamble if the application starts fresh and the visa decision takes that much time again, I have a bare minimum of days to decide for WLU and it's a prestigious university too, but I need to weigh the chances that if this hassle is worth or not

Accommodation won't be an issue, plan to live with sibling near Niagara
Your choice as the application is new. Cannot tell you if it will be approved quickly.

Reactions: architgarg

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
yep, do you recommend me to lodge the application again through GCKey through same account / UCI or through the newer IRCC portal, in case I go with WLU